Community
AutoCAD Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What does "By Layer (VP)" mean in the properties window? And how to reset it?

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
db_2014
8646 Views, 9 Replies

What does "By Layer (VP)" mean in the properties window? And how to reset it?

Hi everyone:

I have a large drawing. On one of the paper spaces I have several viewports on a single page. I started noticing that lines in one of them are not printed at the correct lightweight. So when I selected a block in that viewport and checked its properties it showed this (see circled in red):

1.png

While the exact same block in another viewport appeared normal, or as such:

2.png

Any idea how to reset this "By Layer (VP)" to just "By layer"?

PS. I'm using Autocad 2012.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
JoAnn_Hogan
in reply to: db_2014

Hi db_2014,

What the "By Layer VP" means is that you can create a layer override per viewport. For example you can display your dimensions in the one viewport as red and hide them in another viewport.

So how you can fix this. Go to the layout with the viewports, Go to the layer properties (Home Tab > Layer Panel > Layer Properties) select the layer that you are having the problem with (for example my dimension layer) and make sure the viewport color, linetype and lineweight is set to "By Layer"

You will have to do this for each viewport to make sure that you have the same properties per viewport.

Please let me know if this helps

If this post solved your issue please mark as solved and Kudos are always welcome 😃

Jo - Ann
Twitter: @JoAnn_Hogan
Revit Architecture Certified Professional / Revit Structure Certified Professional / AutoCAD Certified Professional
Message 3 of 10
db_2014
in reply to: JoAnn_Hogan

Thanks, JoAnn for your post. I tried to do what you suggested but those settings were already set as "By layer":

3.png

Also see how layer name "Bldg - C" is displayed with this blue outline. The rest of the layers don't do it.

I know that it's probably something silly that I accidentally clicked earlier by mistake 🙂

Message 4 of 10
JoAnn_Hogan

Would you mind sharing your drawing with me? If you do not want to share it publically, I will send you my email address and have a look at your drawing for you?

If this post solved your issue please mark as solved and Kudos are always welcome 😃

Jo - Ann
Revit Architecture Certified Professional / Revit Structure Certified Professional / AutoCAD Certified Professional
Message 5 of 10
db_2014

I just noticed if I go into layers pane it shows this and another layer as "Viewport overrides" apart from the rest of the layers:

1.png

What is that and how do I move them back into "regular" layers?

PS. JoAnn, sorry I can't share it. But thanks for offering.

Message 6 of 10
JoAnn_Hogan

No Problem,

Unfortunately for some reason i am unable to see your images. Would you mind attaching them instead? Then I would be able to answer your question

Jo - Ann
Message 7 of 10
db_2014

Here you go (attached.)

Message 8 of 10
JoAnn_Hogan

Thank you so much for the picture. Please see my attachment.

The picture at the top is what your layers normally look like. If you go more to the right you will see that there is a VP Color, VP Linetype and VP lineweight.

If I make the VP Overrides (Color, linetype and lineweight) different from the original then it will create a Viewport override folder as shown in the picture below.

You will need to set the color, linetype and lineweight back to exactly the same as the orinigal color, linetype or lineweight and the viewport override will be cleared. Refresh the layer properties afterwards

Please let me know if this helps.

Jo - Ann
Message 9 of 10
nestly2

The light blue shading ALWAYS indicates that there are VP overrides.   Inside the Layer Manager, right-clicking is context sensitive and will permit removal of a specific VP Override, all VP Overrides per property, all VP Overrides in that Viewport, or all VP Overrides in all viewports, depending on what is selected and the right click option selected.

Remove VP overrides.gif

Message 10 of 10
db_2014
in reply to: nestly2

Thank you! I get it now.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost