AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

bsegrest
Message 1 of 7 (2,230 Views)

Wacom Intuos5 AutoCAD Win 7 x64 Major Issues

2230 Views, 6 Replies
06-06-2012 06:43 AM

I recently upgraded my computer at home with a fresh install of Windows7 x64, AutoCAD 2012 and a new Wacom Intuos5 Touch tablet. I can't stand the Windows Pen/Touch "features" so I have everything turned off to only use the Wacom driver. I have the toggle switch on the pen set to a "right-click" and a "middle-click" and everything works great in Photoshop, etc. However when I start AutoCAD, the pen's toogle switch stops working entirely, even if I switch to another program, it will not work there either, nor in basic windows explrorer or even the desktop. Example, not running Autocad, I hit the back of the toggle on my desktop and I get the context menu (personalize, new shortcut, etc). Hit it in Explorer, and I get the context menu (copy, paste, scan for viruses, etc) When I start Autocad, all of that goes away. I used to be able to hit the front of the toggle and use it like a middle-click on a mouse and pan, or hit the back and select

previous commands, etc. Now it does nothing... If I switch to the desktoip or other program it stops working there as well. Closing AutoCAD restores the functionality. PLEASE HELP! This essentially makes AutoCAD worthless on my home computer. NOTE: before the fresh install, everything was working perfectly. I have the same setup at my office, running Windows XP, and it functions perfectly. Ther must be some sort of setting or variable in AutoCAD that I can turn off that will fix this. Thanks!

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 2 of 7 (2,213 Views)

Re: Wacom Intuos5 AutoCAD Win 7 x64 Major Issues

06-07-2012 05:59 AM in reply to: bsegrest

If truly the only thing that changed was Windows (XP to 7), you will not likely find an AutoCAD 'variable' to fix it.

Did you have any button assignments in AutoCAD (XP) that you don't have in the Win7 setup? Otherwise I think you may have hit on one of those annoying 'compatibility' issues.

Any luck with Wacom support?

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
bsegrest
Message 3 of 7 (2,210 Views)

06-07-2012 06:18 AM in reply to: pendean

Thanks for the response, however, perhaps I was unclear. I have 2 computers, one at work, and one at home. The work computer has the identical setup, with the exception that it is running XP. The home computer has always run Win 7. The fresh install was just something I do from time to time. Format, reinstall OS, reinstall programs, run latest updates,

get back to work. Prior to this "refresh" of my system, I was running Win 7, AutoCAD 2012, Wacom Intuos5, and everything worked great. After this "refresh" I have an identical setup, except the button on pen no longer works in AutoCAD. I've asked Wacom, as well as several other discussion groups that share my frustrations with Win 7 and the Wacom Intuos tablets. No idea what is going on. I figured since the problem comes and goes when running CAD, it had to be a CAD issue.

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 4 of 7 (2,207 Views)

06-07-2012 06:23 AM in reply to: bsegrest

Something got missed then, not sure what: no use comparing XP and Win7 unless you know Wacom has a specific issue or need. Was anything salvaged from the previous setup, perhaps an Wacom older driver (or newer/beta) that did not get installed?

With Win7, you should seriously consider not performing these old-school  'refreshes' any longer: better Quality Registry cleaners is about all you really need.

bsegrest
Message 5 of 7 (2,199 Views)

06-08-2012 07:19 AM in reply to: pendean

The only possible difference is that when I reinstalled CAD, I allowed it to download and install Service Pack 2. I can't remember if I ever had that installed on that particular machine (I do not think I did). Wacom drivers are identical, and I allow Windows to install any "critical" updates automatically, so I feel the OS is more or less exactly the same.

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 6 of 7 (2,190 Views)

06-08-2012 11:22 AM in reply to: bsegrest

If you get a chance, and have the time of course, test that theory: remove and reinstall AutoCAD 2012.

Autodesk recommended uninstall and reinstall procedures:
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=10243968&linkID=9240617

bsegrest
Message 7 of 7 (2,135 Views)

06-19-2012 06:41 AM in reply to: pendean

Took some time, but I unistalled and reinstalled 2012. Same issue. Since we recently got our 2013 updates, I uninstalled

2012, and installed 2013 hoping the issue may be resolved. It wasn't. The issue is exactly as before with 2013. Again, this all but makes AutoCAD unusable for me. Any more thoughts? Anything aside from "stop using your Wacom Tablet" at this point will be helpful.

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.