Community
AutoCAD Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VP Freeze activating automatically following layuniso.

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
Anonymous
710 Views, 12 Replies

VP Freeze activating automatically following layuniso.

This is a long-running problem that I have seen evidence of after the fact but today for the first time I have seen it occur in real time and can make it happen at will. But I can not find a solution or even a discussion of the problem. 

Background:  We are using AutoCAD 2011.  We construct our full scale models in model space and our drawing sheets with dimensions and documentation on layout tabs.  We use viewports of course but some sheets only have notes and no viewports.  We use many layers, some are turned off or frozen normally unless needed to make special plots.  Our drawings are complex but well ordered.  Here is the problem:

On any layout tab.  I select an item on a layer, could be anything, click layiso to isolate that layer, click layuniso to unisolate the layer, and now, magically, the layers that are normally turned off or are frozen are now also frozen in VP Freeze.  I did not intend for them to be VP frozen, I did not command that they be VP frozen.  So as a result if I turn on or unfreeze layers that were turned off or frozen during my normal choices, because they are now also VP frozen they will not appear.

I only use VP Freeze within viewports, natch.  But this layiso/layuniso activation of VP Freeze creates rogue VP frozen layers on the layout tabs outside of viewports and causes issues when editing is complete and the drawing is submitted for release.

Why would layers become automatically VP frozen after the typical use of layiso/layuniso when they were not intended to be frozen or purposely frozen prior to the layiso/layuniso action?  And, man, let me tell you.  Now that I know how to invoke this AutoCAD error, I can do it repeatedly and at will.  I want this to stop.  How can I make this stop?

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
sthompson1021
in reply to: Anonymous

Got no answer for you on how to make it stop, but I can confirm that it still does it in 2014.

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: sthompson1021

That is interesting. Our ACAD2011 is a part of Inventor 2011 and our previous version was Inv 2009 with ACAD 2009. Did not see this problem in ACAD 2009 or earlier.
Message 4 of 13
sthompson1021

Just one of the many bugs that get introduced in new versions. I'm watching the boards to see what all is wrong with 2015 before I decide whether or not to download it. I had never noticed your problem before, but I never use LAYISO in layouts.

Message 5 of 13
doni49

tcrocker wrote: 

And, man, let me tell you.  Now that I know how to invoke this AutoCAD error, I can do it repeatedly and at will.  I want this to stop.  How can I make this stop?

Does this affect OTHER viewports?  Or just the one in which you used Layiso/Layuniso?  If it's just the one VP, you could copy the vp off to the side, perform your layiso operation to see what you need to see and when you're done delete the extra VP.  That'll at least allow you to get around the problem until it's fixed.

And if you need to draw something in PSpace then go ahead and draw it on the temp vp -- then move it over to the regular one before you delete the temp one.

And if you haven't already done so, report this at the following link.  Although Autodesk employees do (sometimes) visit these forums, they're mostly monitored by volunteers and thus there's a good chance AD will not even see this. Feature requests can be posted at the following address.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=1109794

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 6 of 13
doni49
in reply to: doni49

One more thing to try (do a backup of your dwg first though just in case).  Before running your layiso sequence, activate the VP and save the layer state.  Then after running layuniso, restore the layer state.

Don Ireland

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous

This happens OUTSIDE of viewports, even on sheets without any viewports.  Viewport layer settings remain unchanged, fortunately. 

Message 8 of 13
doni49

Try the layer state suggestion then.  From all the mention of viewports, I thought the VP was active.

And don't please report it to autodesk.  If you were unable to find even a single discussion about it, then it's highly doubtful that they even know about it.  If they don't know about the issue, what's the likely hood that it'll get fixed?  Although it could conceivably be fixed accidentally by changing something else (just just like it probably got broke by changing something else), I doubt it.

Don Ireland

Message 9 of 13
3wood

I usually use LAYERP to retrieve previous layer status instead of LAYUNISO.

Message 10 of 13
Anonymous

I will report this, but it will prolly be tomorrow.  Thanks!

Message 11 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: 3wood

Layerp restores previous layer state without VP Freeze changes, so that worked and it may help define the problem with layuniso. Thanks.
Message 12 of 13
sthompson1021

Like I said in my earlier reply, it's still broke in 2014. Betting it will still be broke in 2015 when I download that. You can thaw the layers easy enough, but I could see where it would get to be a pain.

Message 13 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: sthompson1021

Yeah. Unless you check or unless you leave the layer properties manager open all of the time you don't know when it has happened (not all the time in the past).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost