AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

JohnWilliams4137
Message 1 of 4 (226 Views)
Accepted Solution

Visretain not functioning with @ charcter in layer name

226 Views, 3 Replies
08-01-2012 07:14 AM

I have a drawing with visretain set to 1 which has an XREF attached. When I freeze any layer, save, then reopen the drawing that layer is still frozen as you would expect. When I freeze a layer with a name consisting of the @ character, save and then reopen it that layer is no longer frozen. The drawings are supplied by an external source so I cannot just rename the layer as I will receive updates during the course of the project. Any ideas of how I can get round this? Is this a standard system function or is it a software error?

*Expert Elite*
JGerth
Message 2 of 4 (221 Views)

Re: Visretain not functioning with @ charcter in layer name

08-01-2012 12:09 PM in reply to: JohnWilliams4137

Communicate with your supplier and explain that non-alphanumeric characters is layer names cause problems.  That's really the bottom line -- limit layer names to alpha numerics, hyphens, and underscores, and things work.  Add ampersands, 'ats', colons, tildes, etc and things will start to fail .

Product Support
Mlgolf
Message 3 of 4 (168 Views)

08-22-2012 01:30 AM in reply to: JohnWilliams4137

Hi John,

As JGerth said it, layer names should be chosen with care and shouldn't contain characters such as the following examples. (< > / \ “ : ; ? * | = ‘)

That been said, could you provide a copy of the affected file (or part of it) for analyses?

Martin Langolf
JohnWilliams4137
Message 4 of 4 (164 Views)

08-22-2012 02:25 AM in reply to: JohnWilliams4137
As I said in my original post, I realise that the @ character is the cause of the problem, however as I also mentioned these drawings were created by an external company and we cannot change them. I cannot control the supplier of the drawings and was hoping for a workaround which I see now is not going to be possible.
Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.