AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

JohnWilliams4137
Message 1 of 4 (237 Views)
Accepted Solution

Visretain not functioning with @ charcter in layer name

237 Views, 3 Replies
08-01-2012 07:14 AM

I have a drawing with visretain set to 1 which has an XREF attached. When I freeze any layer, save, then reopen the drawing that layer is still frozen as you would expect. When I freeze a layer with a name consisting of the @ character, save and then reopen it that layer is no longer frozen. The drawings are supplied by an external source so I cannot just rename the layer as I will receive updates during the course of the project. Any ideas of how I can get round this? Is this a standard system function or is it a software error?

Hi John,

As JGerth said it, layer names should be chosen with care and shouldn't contain characters such as the following examples. (< > / \ “ : ; ? * | = ‘)

That been said, could you provide a copy of the affected file (or part of it) for analyses?

*Expert Elite*
JGerth
Message 2 of 4 (232 Views)

Re: Visretain not functioning with @ charcter in layer name

08-01-2012 12:09 PM in reply to: JohnWilliams4137

Communicate with your supplier and explain that non-alphanumeric characters is layer names cause problems.  That's really the bottom line -- limit layer names to alpha numerics, hyphens, and underscores, and things work.  Add ampersands, 'ats', colons, tildes, etc and things will start to fail .

Product Support
Mlgolf
Message 3 of 4 (179 Views)

08-22-2012 01:30 AM in reply to: JohnWilliams4137

Hi John,

As JGerth said it, layer names should be chosen with care and shouldn't contain characters such as the following examples. (< > / \ “ : ; ? * | = ‘)

That been said, could you provide a copy of the affected file (or part of it) for analyses?

Martin Langolf
JohnWilliams4137
Message 4 of 4 (175 Views)

08-22-2012 02:25 AM in reply to: JohnWilliams4137
As I said in my original post, I realise that the @ character is the cause of the problem, however as I also mentioned these drawings were created by an external company and we cannot change them. I cannot control the supplier of the drawings and was hoping for a workaround which I see now is not going to be possible.
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Are You Going To Be @ AU 2014? Feel free to drop by our AU topic post and share your plans, plug a class that you're teaching, or simply check out who else from the community might be in attendance. Ohh and don't forgot to stop by the Autodesk Help | Learn | Collaborate booths in the Exhibit Hall and meet our community team if you get a chance!