AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

Active Contributor
mwaldenmeyer
Message 1 of 5 (1,548 Views)

Use fields in a table to pull dimension text for cut lists

1548 Views, 4 Replies
06-18-2010 03:40 PM

I am new to fields but I would like to know if there a way to use fields in a table to pull the measurements out of dimensions snapped in a drawing (or layout) and place them in that table.

I create framing drawings and am looking for a quick way to put together a cut list without having to manually type dimensions into a table.

Thoughts?

Thanks for any tips.

Valued Contributor
nikolap
Message 2 of 5 (1,518 Views)

Re: Use fields in a table to pull dimension text for cut lists

06-19-2010 05:09 AM in reply to: mwaldenmeyer
Yes, it is quite possible :smileysurprised:) Double click table cell, then right click and choose Insert Field... When In Field dialog: Field names: choose Object Object type: click on button Select object and then click on appropriate dimension in drawing Back in Field dialog: Property: choose Measurement Format: Current units (or some other) There is button for Additional formating, if needed Press OK and - voila - you've got dimensions in table If objects in drawing change some dimensions, after drawing regeneration fields are updated.
Active Contributor
mwaldenmeyer
Message 3 of 5 (1,514 Views)

06-19-2010 05:31 AM in reply to: mwaldenmeyer

Thanks!

That worked very well.

Now to one up it, is there a way to make it an easily repeatable command or command string? Would this have to be a LISP expression? This functionality is already very cool, I would like to automate it a little, if possible.

Thanks again for your help!

hughes.huck
Message 4 of 5 (850 Views)

04-19-2012 06:05 PM in reply to: mwaldenmeyer

This is great!

Another follow up... can you do the opposite? i.e. Create a table and have multiple labels throughout your sheet source a cell in that table?

hughes.huck
Message 5 of 5 (837 Views)

04-20-2012 09:15 AM in reply to: hughes.huck

I've been able to grab numerical data from tables and insert them as fields... but not text.  

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.