Did you mean: 

Understanding the size of an imported excel table as Autocad entity

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Sam_R
1938 Views, 4 Replies

Understanding the size of an imported excel table as Autocad entity

Hi!

I'm working on the creation of standard procedures for every body in the office for the insetion of (linked) excel tables in layouts.

After reading a lot of the information available on this and other forums, I feel that the best way to do this is to use the autocad enties method.

What I don't get - and even worst, I can't control - is the sizing of the inserted object. It appears in layout much bigger than I need and with a font size that (from what I can anderstand and test) has no clear relation with the excel font size (which I don't want to change). Of course being a table it can be scaled but with no clear rule - therefor not so suitable for implementing for everybody here.

I treid to use DATALINK when creatting a table and in that approach (good when it comes to size as it uses acad table style) the problem is that merged cells in excel come up divided in acad and bold or normal characteristics (which I need) are lost.

Is there a way to set a text height by default for autocad entities?... that would solve my problem.

Thank you!

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
rkmcswain
in reply to: Sam_R

Apologies for not directly answering your question, but we've been down this road for years and tried all sorts of built-in and 3rd party solutions.

What has ended up working best for us is to print the Excel file to PDF, and reference in the PDF. We get WYSIWYG results 100% of the time now. If/when the Excel file is updated, we just print it to PDF again and since it's a reference, the AutoCAD drawing will be updated next time it's opened.

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 3 of 5
Sam_R
in reply to: rkmcswain

Thank you R. K.!

I totally understand that solution. I dove into this just a few days ago and I'm tired already. I would still like to go for linked files because sometimes we have tens of different tables by acad file. It feels it would be too difficult to manage all those pdfs.
On top of that I really just need to adjust size.  I am ok with all other features (font, margins, etc.). I think I'd prefer to create a small table to generate scale factor according to the font size of the inserted table that people could easily use.

Anyone?

Datalink(ed) tables - why do cells import as unmerged and can I stop it?
Autocad entity table - what's the logics of the size? Can I set a fixed font size?

Thank you!

Message 4 of 5
pendean
in reply to: Sam_R

TABLESTYLE command is uset to define a new table paramter, including text size etc.
You can also use PROPERTIES palette to udjust AutoCAd TABLE settings if it's already existing.

If none of those work then as noted by others, with linking to Excel, you tend to lose control and you get what you see in your files.
Message 5 of 5
Sam_R
in reply to: pendean

Thanks Dean!

Yeah, I have the tablestyle set according to my needs. And it works but, as I posted before, with datalink (that uses tablestyle directly) I lose some precious information (merged cells and bold for exemple). For now I seatled with creating a table with a formula to generate a scale factor.

I'll keep trying to understand this though...

Thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost