AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

illused
Message 1 of 18 (1,422 Views)

Unchanged drawing is "changed" by zooming/panning

1422 Views, 17 Replies
07-21-2010 12:49 AM

I guess because the view is actually saved, but is there a way to disable view saving or any other way that an UNCHANGED drawing does not ask me to save?

This is related to the option to combine zoom and pan actions in undo, but what I really want is to remove them from undo completely. That way if you zoom out you could see what changes, and you wouldn't LOSE THE ABILITY TO REDO by zooming.

Optimally, AUTOCAD could ask for each drawing whether it should save, and then save the ones that you selected, together. This way you could just leave the application to save and tab to something else

I'd be really happy to see this option in future releases. Because when you undo you can't always see the change, and being able to zoom/pan independently of the action history would mean that you can look at the drawing without losing the latest drawing.

Thanks

Kent

Valued Mentor
TrevN
Message 2 of 18 (1,419 Views)

Re: Unchanged drawing is "changed" by zooming/panning

07-21-2010 01:36 AM in reply to: illused

You mean work like every other CAD programme I have ever used?!!!

Hmmm, that's not the AutoCAD way, they'll do it how they please, and take no notice of the end user!!

It would be fantasic if this was changed and zoom was removed from the undo command, and not recognized as a command so save or not didn't come up, but I for one aint holding my breath.  :smileysurprised:

Valued Mentor
Randy_Culp
Message 3 of 18 (1,362 Views)

07-21-2010 01:27 PM in reply to: TrevN

I hope they don't.  We have had much more issue with guys zoomed into an area attempting to undo something and literally undoing half a drawing before they realized because it was off screen.

If you change something like say your viewpoint, then the file is changed.  if you wish to save that change or discard that change the system needs to know.  If you're working on a map the size of Harris County Texas, you'd really like it to still be where you left it yesterday.

Valued Mentor
TrevN
Message 4 of 18 (1,349 Views)

07-22-2010 12:53 AM in reply to: Randy_Culp

Your first point has nothing to do with the zoom and or undo command; you can't blame the software if the user doesn't know what they are doing!

Your second point doesn't really make much sence regarding zoom either. Taking zoom out so that AutoCAD doesn't see it as a change wouldn't change where you last made a save. If you wanted to save the view you last worked on, then just hit save, and then the next time you opened that file, your last view save would still be there.

The point we're trying to make is if you want to open a drawing just to look at, to check it or just use as a reference, and all you are doing is zooming and panning and have made no changes, we do not want to be asked if we want to save it. So, we would like AutoCAD to recongnize this and ignore the zooming and panning, and see that no changes have been made to that file, and therefore think nothing has happened, so no more "Do you want to save?"

Mentor
markdoel
Message 5 of 18 (1,346 Views)

07-22-2010 03:07 AM in reply to: TrevN

i was going to say that Autodesk's answer would be "open the file as read only".....but even if you do that you still get asked if you want to save the file, which seems a little crazy when you can not actually save a read only file...:-) you certainly have to give the clowns @ autodesk 10 out of 10 for entertainment value...:-)

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 6 of 18 (1,334 Views)

07-22-2010 05:47 AM in reply to: illused

Your $3000+ software has a cool ability called end-user customization: create a right-click selection or F-key or Mouse-key or toolbar button or ribbon panel selection or Qat button item that just closes the file and answers no, and take ownership of your desires and wishes.

Need help doing just that? ask here, or search/repost here:
http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Visual-LISP-AutoLISP-and-General/bd-p/130

Waiting for a 'factory' change when a user edit is right in front of you is such a waste of time.

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
Valued Mentor
Randy_Culp
Message 7 of 18 (1,323 Views)

07-22-2010 06:25 AM in reply to: TrevN
Moving several dozen contractors in and out a place at any given time and there's a bet that somone isn't up to speed on their tools. Besides that, I've seen veteran Microstation users screw up and undo things off-screen. While I can blame the guy for screwing up, I still have an error to fix, hopefully BEFORE it's fabricated. If it doesn't prompt me to save after I've changed my viewpoint, when do I save? Oh you want me to change the file, then change it again to save the first change. Using a full seat of AutoCAD to just view files is an expensive file viewer and a poor use of resources. DWGTrueView, or products like Navisworks or FASTLOOK will do that and more without eating an AutoCAD license.
*Expert Elite*
dgorsman
Message 8 of 18 (1,313 Views)

07-22-2010 11:42 AM in reply to: markdoel

That *would* be a pretty good answer if opening files as read-only was easier.  Its way too easy for somebody working on a drawing and needing to look at another to just open it with write-access in the current session.  Who wants to launch another application (TrueView, Design Review, Simulate) when they already have an application open?

A per-session/registry system variable that toggles the default open behaviour between read-write and read-only might not be a bad idea.  Something else that might be a good idea would be a tool/function/whatever inside AutoCAD to open drawings with an appropriate viewer application, making the process more transparent to the user.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
Adopt. Adapt. Overcome. Or be overcome.
A good question will be halfway to a good answer.

Valued Mentor
Randy_Culp
Message 9 of 18 (1,307 Views)

07-22-2010 12:22 PM in reply to: dgorsman
Somewhere, either on these boards or over at TheSwamp.org there is a reg-fiddle function that does just that. As I recall you define in the desktop icon execution, so when you fire the button it will open files read-only. However, the OP will still be prompted to save while exiting if the file has changed.
illused
Message 10 of 18 (1,260 Views)

07-26-2010 03:15 AM in reply to: illused

it's a mess and the ability to close without saving really doesn't help, because you can just close-'n' if that's all you want.

You just don't know if you did actually make some small change that you don't remember, so I rarely close without saving. But save can seem to take ages sometimes, especially at the beginning or end of the day when everyone is using the network.

Also, it currently only zooms to the area after it undoes, so you are often left wondering what was undone anyway. If you could zoom out iwould help you see where the change happens.

Oh and yes, it should be an option, for those of you who like it how it is, Didn't I say that?

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.