Did you mean: 

Unable to Open Three Specific DWG Files from Network Location

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
kyoung
474 Views, 5 Replies

Unable to Open Three Specific DWG Files from Network Location

Hello,

I'm relatively unexperienced with Autocad, so I apologize in advance for my n00b-ness...but here we go:

I've got two end users who are unable to open a file located on a network drive by double clicking on it through Windows Explorer. I haven't tried File -> Open yet; just read in another post that it may be related.

Both PC's are running Windows 7 (one of the machines was deployed in the past month or two), and I think they both have Autocad 2012. Their server is running Windows Server 2012. It was recently replaced, so my boss and I are thinking it's a bad file path that's being linked with a template or other file.

As far as I know, the problem is only with three files: when the user double-clicks to open, and Autocad is open already, it gets to about 17% and then stalls and the application becomes unresponsive.

If Autocad is not open, it gets to 99% and then the same thing happens (app becomes unresponsive, and have to close out).

How do I determine what files are being linked to from the DWG file? It seems like that's the problem, I just don't know how to go about fixing it.

Thanks in advance!

-Kevin

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
justshutup
in reply to: kyoung

Have the users perform a RECOVER on the offending files.

Message 3 of 6
pendean

A test: copy this files to each if the problem computers and try to open thrm from there: any issues?
If yes, unplug from the network and try again, any issues?

If you believe the problem is simply file corruption, as noted by the suggestion above, then;
Start AutoCAD.
Type RECOVER at the commandline, then navigate and select one of these files. Does it open? If yes, then QSAVE immediately. Note: if the file contains XREFs you should do the same to each one if those files.
Message 4 of 6
kyoung
in reply to: pendean

pendean,

Thanks for the detailed help; I will attempt asap and report back.

Message 5 of 6
dmfrazier

"How do I determine what files are being linked to from the DWG file?"

I don't know that it will lead to a solution, but to answer the question, you can try Reference Manager, which runs outside AutoCAD. Launch it from Start, All Programs, Autodesk, etc.

Message 6 of 6
kyoung
in reply to: pendean

pendean,

They are able to copy the files to their local hard drive and open them with no problems. I have not tried while they're disconnected from the network.

At first it seemed to be 3 files from an old project, but I just got an email saying she's having problems again. Time to troubleshoot this mother.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost