AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

Distinguished Contributor
damo3
Message 1 of 12 (4,560 Views)

Truetype font vs SHX

4560 Views, 11 Replies
05-13-2010 12:04 AM
So i realise there are a number of posts on this in 2009 & 2010 forums and i have read most of them. However I would like to make sure i am getting the latest thoughts from peers in the industry. Our office is going through an identity revamp from logos to name etc. A number of autocad items, ie titleblocks, sheets etc will change with the new stuff. I would like to change some of the fonts we use which are quite old and general consensus is they can be hard to read.
1. should i even consider using true type fonts within documentation (we currently use them for titleblocks). There seems to be alot about performance issues but is that still the case in more modern versions of cad?
2. There are a few SHX files we can consider however some do not show symbols correctly, ie centreline, squared, degrees and diameter. is this an easy fix or requires manipulation of the SHX font?
3. What is autodesk's current stand point on true type fonts in autocad?? (probably one for someone from autodesk if your around)
Mentor
markdoel
Message 2 of 12 (4,559 Views)

Re: Truetype font vs SHX

05-13-2010 12:26 AM in reply to: damo3
we use TTF for all text now without issue.

providing you opt for a standard windows ttf you can say goodbye to all the old compatability issues of SHX files where some parties use custom shx files.

you can also get consistent presentation of text across all software tools if you use ttf i.e. photoshop, word, powerpoint, CAD, BIM etc..etc..

the historic issues associated with ttf and regen / printing times are out dated on todays workstations.
*Expert Elite*
GTVic
Message 3 of 12 (4,559 Views)

05-13-2010 10:26 AM in reply to: damo3
We have a group that has its own custom SHX font because they have three symbols that are composed of two partially overlapping letters that they use in annotations. The symbols are apparently industry standard (bridge design/construction). Do you know of any solution for this?

C and L is one, the other contains P and L and I can't remember the third, maybe G and L
http://www.decodeunicode.org/en/u+2104/properties
*Michael Robertson
Message 4 of 12 (4,559 Views)

05-13-2010 10:35 AM in reply to: damo3
Hello Greg.Toews,
FDOT has created a TTF font set that contains a large number of special characters
used by both Road and Bridge designers and Surveyors. It is an open source
font you are welcome to take a look at if you are interested. Of course anyone
using the special characters need the font, but in our case we deliver it
to all of our consultants with the rest of our resources when they start
a project.

If you would like a copy send me an email at michael.robertson (at) dot.state.fl.us

> We have a group that has its own custom SHX font because they have
> three symbols that are composed of two partially overlapping letters
> that they use in annotations. The symbols are apparently industry
> standard (bridge design/construction). Do you know of any solution for
> this?
>
> C and L is one, the other contains P and L and I can't remember the
> third, maybe G and L http://www.decodeunicode.org/en/u+2104/properties
>
Distinguished Contributor
damo3
Message 5 of 12 (4,559 Views)

05-14-2010 07:14 AM in reply to: damo3
Thanks for your input mark, yeah the consistency amongst software was one of the reasons i was hoping to go to ttf. help us to make standard fonts throughout the office. how do i know it is standard windows ttf? we use a futura font at the moment that i thought was windows standard but turns out whenever we get a new computer in the office we have to load them on. i would go to the windows folder on my computer to check, but i dont know what past users have done to it prior so the contents is probably tainted. might google it.... thanks again.
*Expert Elite*
GTVic
Message 6 of 12 (4,559 Views)

05-14-2010 10:26 AM in reply to: damo3
We use Arial at the moment. Century Gothic is standard and apparently is close to Futura.

The one negative for the TTF is on screen viewing. When the text gets small it turns to garbage. It would be nice if AutoCAD rendered TTF fonts as a stick font just on-screen when the height is below a certain size.
Mentor
markdoel
Message 7 of 12 (4,559 Views)

05-16-2010 07:45 PM in reply to: damo3
how do i know it is standard windows ttf? .............check if its available in word...:-)

but i guess if you have added custom FFT files to the windows font directory these will also show up in word etc....i think there is a list of standard microsoft fonts on the microsoft web site somewhere....but the list varies between OS's and suites of office..i think.

we simply use Arial......so its not an issue.

here is a quick list from a google search but i would go to the microsft web and search there
http://www.styopkin.com/articles/fonts_installed_winxp.html
acaduser123
Message 8 of 12 (3,643 Views)

10-26-2011 03:54 PM in reply to: damo3

We have been experiencing problems with the arial font. In blocks, if they are rotated, then the text has a "bolded" look. They only way we've found a way around this is to explode the block. However we would like to use attributes and exploding it defeats our purpose. If we use shx fonts it doesn't seem to give us this problem. Just wondering if you have this same issue or know of a fix other than switching all to shx text.

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 9 of 12 (3,632 Views)

10-27-2011 05:49 AM in reply to: acaduser123

TTF fonts only "bold" if the Z elevation changes: flatten your blocks and they will be fine or use PROPERTIES (save the repost by not assuming the limited accuracy reporting it is at zero is correct, type 0 in that Z box and hit <enter>).

ARIAL user here since AutoCAD allowed TTF fonts, no issues with rotated attribute-blocks here.

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
acaduser123
Message 10 of 12 (3,618 Views)

10-27-2011 09:15 AM in reply to: pendean

I've tried flatten. which sometimes works. Once you flatten a block with parameters you are unable to use them anymore but attributes are ok. I’ve also noticed that when you flatten the block it disappears sometimes. The properties and setting z elevation to 0 again doesn't work at all for us. I've also found that attributed text within blocks is fine and not bolded but if i use mtext or dtext that's what is bolded.

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.