Community
AutoCAD Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transformation Commands require two clicks (enter)

38 REPLIES 38
SOLVED
Message 1 of 39
Anonymous
10124 Views, 38 Replies

Transformation Commands require two clicks (enter)

Using ACAD2013, any command I try to execute requires two clicks. This specifically occurs with transformational commands - i.e. offset, rotate, mirror, but not line. For example I will enter the "OFFSET" command and hit enter, however instead of prompting me to input my OFFSET variables I will have to hit enter again and then enter the requisite variables. In effect I have to hit enter twice to execute any command of this sort. I have already tried changing my PICKFIRST settings, and AUTOCOMPLETE. I'm at a loss. Please help.

Best,

Tal

38 REPLIES 38
Message 2 of 39
nestly2
in reply to: Anonymous

For clarity, does this also happen when using the keyboard (Enter) key, or only when using the right-mouse button for (Enter)?

Message 3 of 39
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

welcome @forums.autodesk.com!

>> any command I try to execute requires two clicks

It sounds strange, but what is "click" for you? Do you mean "click" on the <ENTER>  key on the keyboard or "click" onto a mouse button, if mouse button ==> which one? AND: what happens in your command line after the first "click"?

Another trial for now: what happens if you toggle the dynamic input (<F12>)? Same issue with both states for DYNMODE?

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 4 of 39
Anonymous
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

I use spacebar for enter (never right-click) and I've toggled F12 (DYNMODE) to no effect. 

After I hit spacebar/enter once NOTHING happens. 

Message 5 of 39
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> I use spacebar for enter

Have you tried now using <ENTER> also?

Is your commandline docked or floating? Anyway: you can try to undock or dock it and try both situations.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 6 of 39
Anonymous

Yes, I have tried using <enter> as well as <spacebar>. No effect.

I have also docked and undocked the commandline. No effect.

One new detail that I've encountered:

If I select a line first to OFFSET I need to hit enter twice to prompt the command, however if I don't select anything and type in "OFFSET" the command responds immediately and then allows me to select a line to offset without any problem. I've toggled PICKFIRST and tried the this both ways again but get the same result.

Thanks!

Message 7 of 39
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

can you login to your Windows with another username and try it within that context?

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 8 of 39
Anonymous

No, I cannot.

Message 9 of 39
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

why not? If you are not an admin then ask an admin to create a temporary account.
Alternativly you can reset your AutoCAD profile (in the Windows start menu) but then you loose all your customizations.

BTW: do you have any applications/tools/plugins on top of your AutoCAD installed?

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 10 of 39
nestly2

Can you copy/past the command history (F2) from the following sequence?

Set PICKFIRST =1

Select a line

Offset the line.

Offset.gif

Command: pickfirst

Enter new value for PICKFIRST <1>: 1

Command:
Command: offset

Current settings: Erase source=No  Layer=Source  OFFSETGAPTYPE=0
Specify offset distance or [Through/Erase/Layer] <0'-1">: 1

Specify point on side to offset or [Exit/Multiple/Undo] <Exit>:
Select object to offset or [Exit/Undo] <Exit>:

Message 11 of 39
Anonymous
in reply to: nestly2

Pasted commands below. It's after I type in offset that I'm forced to hit enter twice.

Command: pickfirst
Enter new value for PICKFIRST <1>: 1
Command: offset
Current settings: Erase source=No Layer=Source OFFSETGAPTYPE=0
Specify offset distance or [Through/Erase/Layer] <3'-0">:
Specify point on side to offset or [Exit/Multiple/Undo] <Exit>:

Message 12 of 39
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

can you do the same again (show the content of the commandline) when you type the following:

_OFFSET<ENTER>

_LINE<ENTER>

(the idea with another AutoCAD profile is still open)

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 13 of 39
Anonymous

Command: _OFFSET
Current settings: Erase source=No Layer=Source OFFSETGAPTYPE=0
Specify offset distance or [Through/Erase/Layer] <3'-0">:
Command: _LINE
Specify first point:
Specify next point or [Undo]:

I cannot set up another profile today.

Thanks again,

Tal

Message 14 of 39
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

now it seems that you don't need one <ENTER> more, you (or a tool/app/plugin) sends itself more <ENTER> to the command line ... otherwise AutoCAD would wait for a user-input in the line "Specify offset distance ...".

So what happens if you start the command with a dot in the commandname:

_.OFFSET<ENTER>

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 15 of 39
Anonymous

I still need to hit <enter> twice regardless of whether I enter, "OFFSET"/"_OFFSET"/"_.OFFSET". It just doesn't register in the commandline the first time, so it looks as though i've only entered <enter> once. however, with other commands, LINE, for instance, this is not necessary. 

Message 16 of 39
Patchy

When did this happen? do you use autolisp?

Message 17 of 39
Anonymous
in reply to: Patchy

I don't know what autolisp is. i do customize my key commands, but other than that, i don't customize anything. i use scripts sometimes to turn on/off layers. i'm also working at a 40 person office so the program is installed and maintained by a freelance IT person.

Message 18 of 39
Patchy

Can you go to START, All Programs, navigate to autodesk,.... find your autocad version and there should be a reset option.

Message 19 of 39
Anonymous
in reply to: Patchy

Just reset to default and it seems to be working. Not exactly a fix since I have to recustomize everything now, but it's worth it if it means no more double click frustration. Thanks everyone.

Message 20 of 39
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> Just reset to default and it seems to be working

Posted in message 9 already ... 😉

>> I have to recustomize everything now

Please do that step-by-step and after every step restart AutoCAD and see how _OFFSET works then. Then you (hopefully) find the step that starts the problem.

Good luck, - alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost