Community
AutoCAD Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tool to update links within DWG documents?

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
nathang
328 Views, 4 Replies

Tool to update links within DWG documents?

Hi,

I should open by clarifying that I have very limited AutoCAD experience, coming more from a Microsoft / Windows Server background.

Having stipulated that, lets see if anyone here can help with a problem I'm trying to help my client with.  They have a large library of DWG files documenting their designed and as-built installations of their fire protection products in buildings throughout the country.  The file server holding this library of documents is going to be retired soon, and I'm hoping there is a tool available to bulk-update links within DWG files so that references to (eg) \\old-server-name\old-share\some-folder\Asbuilt-02302.DWG can be pointed to \\new-server-name\new-share\some-folder\Asbuilt-02302.DWG

Does such a tool exist, or am I forced to choose between my 2 not-ideal scenarios of 

1) having to get the client to re-link each file, one at a time.

2) having to come up with an arrangement where the old server name and IP address can be used on the new server, for the purpose of link-preservation?

Thanks in advance...

Nathan

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: nathang

Hi,

I guess you are looking for the Reference Manager (to be found in the Windows start menu ==> Autodesk ==> AutoCAD <your release>)

Check >>>this<<<.

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 5
nathang
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Thanks Alfred,

That appears to be a partial solution, in that it would allow for all references within a drawing to be updated. What I'm really hoping for is something that could do this, en masse, for all drawings in a given folder, or set of folders, as a task that would be completed during the migration from old file server to new file server.

Regards,
Nathan
Message 4 of 5
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: nathang

Hi,

>> What I'm really hoping for is something that could do this, en masse, for all drawings in a given folder, or set of folders

You can use the "Add Drawings" button within the Reference Manager and run then "Find and Replace" for all loaded/selected drawings.

2015-01-05 03-04-29.png

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 5 of 5
nathang
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Thanks Alfred,

I think the informaiton you have provided is going to be sufficient to allow me to work through this with my client.  In addition to the link you provided, I also see this article has some helpful looking content under the heading "Change Reference Paths in Multiple Drawings ".

I'll do some testing and see how I get on.

Cheers,

Nathan 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost