Tiny drawing is too huge

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
drc_ol
514 Views, 12 Replies

Tiny drawing is too huge

HI everyone,

I have a grave problem, I produce windows frame in Cad but my drawing become huge with just a few details.

Like you can see in the attachement, this tiny drawing already have 1.42Mb. Imagine a drawing with dozens and dozens of those details.

In the properties of the detail, it appears than it have 3D polyline, i tried to use flatten but it seems to have a problem.

I really need your help.

Regards.

David

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
hwalker
in reply to: drc_ol

Welcome to the Forums

No wonder it's huge, everything has been exploded into lines. You have in just that simple drawing approximately 6,000 separate objects.

I've attached a drawing which will get you started.

I've separated the elements into 7 separate areas. Each of those elements can consist mainly of 1 single polyline (polylines can do arcs)

Also the small areas didn't need single lines drawn inside them, they can be hatched.

Howard Walker
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 3 of 13
pendean

This looks like a scanned image that has been "converted" to a DXF or DWG file: very sloppy conversion, you have just under 7000 elements for a simple drawing of a glass/window frame.

There is no way you drew this my friend, it would have taken you days and days.
Message 4 of 13
nestly2

Yeah, there are about 6829 objects in that drawing, which is about 6,800 more than necessary. 

The 30+ blocks used to create the drawing use 3dPlines for the arc segments, so my first suggestion is to redo those blocks using arcs, and replace the individual cross-hatch lines with actual hatches, then rebuild your window frames from the "cleaned-up" blocks. 

Eliminate whatever/whoever is causing 3dPolylines to be used instead of arcs.

Message 5 of 13
drc_ol
in reply to: hwalker

Thanks for the quick answer,

I did what you told me, I have only aprox. 1000 lines but the files continue to be too high for what it represent.

Message 6 of 13
nestly2

PURGEing the unused blocks will further reduce the dwg to about 200k, but IMO, all the curved segments should be redone to use arc rather than many straight segments to represent curves.

Message 7 of 13
drc_ol

Like you said, this part it's not made by me, I do the other conections with that. Is those details who are causing troubles. I was told that they had be given from the original trademark support.

Sorry but i didn't understand how can i pass the 3d polylines to arcs.

Message 8 of 13
drc_ol

You are telling me that the solutions would be to made this detaails myself using curves,arcs...

There isn't a command to do so? Because i have many more of those.

Message 9 of 13
pendean

Converting 3DPloy objects:
http://www.cadforum.cz/cadforum_en/qaID.asp?tip=5673

Try PEDIT or MPEDIT command to join disconnected plines and arcs into fewer joined plines.

There are no built-in tools to fix messy drafting or scans/convertions.

Message 10 of 13
nestly2

@drc_ol wrote:

You are telling me that the solutions would be to made this detaails myself using curves,arcs...

There isn't a command to do so? Because i have many more of those.

If drawing size is the problem, then yes, replacing 3D polylines made up of hundreds or thousands of tiny straight segments, with regular lines and arc is going to be the ultimate solution.  An intermediate solution might be to open each block, use BPOLY to create a new polyline boundary, then delete the previous 3D polyline boundary.  The arcs will still be tiny straight sections, but it will certainly be better than using 3D polylines in a 2D drawing.

Can you request better quality drawings of the parts from the source?

Message 11 of 13
drc_ol
in reply to: nestly2

I tried everything in http://www.cadforum.cz/cadforum_en/qaID.asp?tip=5673, using Purge and Pedit,Mpedit..

Nothing works. And i can't ask for another details.

The only solution will be to make myself the details.

Thanks everyone for the answers and the support!!

Message 12 of 13
hwalker

The first thing to do will be to EXPLODE everything to convert everything into lines.

Next you can quite happily keep all the lines which are supposed to be straight lines. Now all you have to do is join the straight lines with arcs.

After that use PEDIT. to join the arcs and lines together.

EDIT: It will help you if for the moment you keep all the short lines which make the arcs on the drawing as they will show if your arc is correct. Also I would suggest you draw your arcs in a different colour (say red) so you can see which you have done and which you need to do.

Howard Walker
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 13 of 13
nestly2

Here is a short video showing how you might go about replacing the 3D polylines if that's what you choose to do.  I'm guessing 10-15 minutes per block once you establish rhythm. Once you have your blocks corrected, don't explode them in the drawing.... leave them as blocks.

http://www.screencast.com/t/eZrYcCJapB5l

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost