AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

tnok85
Message 1 of 10 (17,989 Views)

The Autodesk Content Service service hung on starting

17989 Views, 9 Replies
06-03-2011 09:31 AM

Hey,

Just installed Autocad 2012 on a fresh install of Windows XP 64 SP1. Autocad was the last thing to install, after all drivers/updates/Symantec etc.

After I installed Autocad, logging in would take ~5-10 minutes before everything finally finishes starting. Doing anything before then is VERY sluggish and unresponsive. Afterwards, however, it runs fine. Just as fast as usual.

I uninstalled Symantec first (since it does have problems with other programs sometimes) and it didn't help at all. Checked the eventvwr: "The Autodesk Content Service service hung on starting"

Eventually the service DOES start, but it takes 5-10 minutes, and then the computer frees up.

Anybody else encountered this?

Alumni
oleg.d1
Message 2 of 10 (17,957 Views)

Re: The Autodesk Content Service service hung on starting

06-04-2011 09:57 AM in reply to: tnok85

Hey tnok85,

sorry to hear you are running into problems with our service.  This behavior is new - we haven't seen anything like this yet.

So after the service starts, what happens if you stop and start it again (you can do that by running "services.msc" Windows utility) ?  Does it still take 5-10 minutes to start?

Also, can you set the service start type to "manual" (using services.msc), reboot, login, and then start the service manually?  Still 5-10 minutes?

hopefully these steps will help narrow things down.

thanks,

Oleg (ADSK)

tnok85
Message 3 of 10 (17,937 Views)

06-05-2011 04:30 PM in reply to: tnok85

After the system has finished starting up, the content service can be stopped and started fairly quickly. (Within a matter of seconds)

I'll shut down the service (set to manual) and restart to see if the slow start still persists. Thanks for the response!

Contributor
david.scheu
Message 4 of 10 (17,638 Views)

08-18-2011 10:02 AM in reply to: tnok85

I've noticed the same symptom (very slow Windows start-up) with XP 32 bit. The "Autodesk Content Service hung on starting" error also appears in my system log. Disabling that service did result in a much faster Windows start-up with, not surprisingly, no error message in the system log. It seems fairly clear that this error was causing the slow down.

So, what next? What does the service do, and what will my AutoCAD experience lack without it? If it is necessary or desirable, how do I fix or work around this problem? Thanks!

davidbrewer9029
Message 5 of 10 (17,577 Views)

08-23-2011 11:12 AM in reply to: david.scheu

Autodesk will not like this but to get rid of that unneccessary and unuseful content service just rename or delete C:\Program Files (x86)\Autodesk\Content Service\Connect.Service.ContentService.exe.

Employee
Craig.Godfrey
Message 6 of 10 (17,536 Views)

08-24-2011 10:23 AM in reply to: david.scheu

Hello David S.,

Did you happen to try Oleg's steps of setting the Content Service to manual, rebooting, and then starting the service again? These steps are mainly to help debug to see if it takes the same time to manually start the service as it does to start it on windows xp startup. Do you know if an antivirus or corporate policy blocks the startup of services?

The Content Service is part of the new Content Explorer functionality in AutoCAD 2012. The Content Service will index local or folders, that you specify, so that you can quickly find files and more importantly objects within those files such as blocks, text, layers, etc... There are a few videos that talk more about Content Explorer on exchange. Give those a look and see if Content Explorer can help find data.

If you do not feel that Content Explorer is something you would like to use at this time :smileysad: there is a safer way other than deleting the exe to remove the service. Go to Add/Remove Programs and uninstall "Autodesk Content Service".

Let me know what you find when you manually start the service or if you have any questions about Content Explorer.

Craig S. Godfrey
Software QA Engineer
Autodesk, Inc.

Contributor
david.scheu
Message 7 of 10 (17,361 Views)

09-12-2011 08:19 AM in reply to: Craig.Godfrey

Craig,

After a super-slow startup following a maintenance release install which reactivated Autodesk Content Service, I remembered this thread and noticed your reply. Glad to help debug.

The results of the experiment are:

Service starts manually in <10 seconds, with normal "entered the running state" entry in the system log.

Not sure if your other two questions are still relevant given that the service will start manually, but...

Our antivirus, Trend, isn't logging any events pertaining to Autodesk Content Service. As far as I know it hasn't blocked a service before.

I can't say that I fully understand the full implication of every last policy setting, but I don't see anything that would be blocking services other than those expressly disabled. Looks like Autodesk Content Service has no dependencies, so I assume it's not failing because it needs a service that I have disabled.

davidbrewer9029
Message 8 of 10 (17,323 Views)

09-13-2011 08:19 AM in reply to: Craig.Godfrey

Craig,

Sorry for the delay.  No I have not tried Oleg's steps, I don't believe his post was there when we first ran into this. And I haven't kept up with the discussion groups since Autodesk removed the forums from the newgroups.  I find the web page news groups to be unfriendly and harder to use.

We completely disabled Content Service for several reasons, the first being was the very slow start-up.  The second being that we don't want our users to bring in unapproved / unmanaged content or to search for it outside of out menus.  We have systems in place to control all of our content on a per job basis and users bringing in content from who knows where with who know what kind of data would screw up our entire system.  So to keep this from happening we have removed the Content Service exe from all our users machines.  Disabling the exe is much faster than going to each user's machine and uninstalling something that should have asked permission before installing in the first place.  Just a big waste of time. 

I'm not saying the Content Service is a bad thing, not at all, but we don't want it and it shouldn't be installed without our permission. 

We still haven't found out what causes AutoCAD2012 to come to a complete halt for about 30 seconds after it loads.  On some of the older machines, it brings the entire machine to a halt.  Very irritating, we swapped AutoCAD 09's slow startup for AutoCAD2012's fast start-up with a long pause.

-DB

Distinguished Contributor
JIMDONALDSON6595
Message 9 of 10 (17,284 Views)

09-14-2011 08:13 AM in reply to: david.scheu

I noticed it to on my win 7 32 bit system when I first installed R2012, was not a problem with R2011. I Just blamed it was another Autodesk problem and turned it off.

Jim

gasbee
Message 10 of 10 (15,326 Views)

03-02-2012 07:38 AM in reply to: JIMDONALDSON6595

Any updates on this issue?  I'm experiencing the same thing with Win XP 64.

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.