AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

ron.uhd
Message 1 of 3 (209 Views)

Syntax for automatic calculations when entering dimensions

209 Views, 2 Replies
09-23-2011 08:03 AM

When entering a linear dimension, I want to automatically subtract 5 units from the actual dimension entered.Nothing I've tried has worked, hoping it is a simple syntax issue. Thanks

AutoCad 2011

*Expert Elite*
azrdgldr
Message 2 of 3 (178 Views)

Re: Syntax for automatic calculations when entering dimensions

09-23-2011 05:04 PM in reply to: ron.uhd

I personally don't think that this could be done, dimension styles only give you a scaling factor.  Maybe with a lisp, but not with plain styles.

Active Contributor
Santos1503
Message 3 of 3 (153 Views)

Re: Syntax for automatic calculations when entering dimensions

09-26-2011 06:25 AM in reply to: ron.uhd

It can be done by using a field in place of the dimension text.  When you insert the field, select "Objects" as the field category & select "Object" in the field names.  Select the object that you are dimensioning & select "length" as the property.

The trick now to do the math is to highlight & copy the text & the bottom of the window in the "Field Expression" box, change the field name from Object to Formula.  Right click & paste what you copied into the "Formula" box & type "- 5" (without quotes) to complete the formula.  If you click on Evaluate you will see the result in the Preview box at the top.  Change the Format of the field to get the data to appear the way you want it.

It is a few steps but it will get you the results you want.

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.