Did you mean: 

Suggestions for Autosave & SV$

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
AL44
366 Views, 4 Replies

Suggestions for Autosave & SV$

Hi 

I remember a time when autocad did not delete the sv$ files & autosave worked properly.

An idea: You could program your lisp file to rename(or copy) the sv$ files or qsave

or Autodesk could change the software so:

1.if acad deletes a file such as *.sv$ it goes to the recycle bin

2.add a system variable to give the option to go back to the old way where autosave files are never deleted by the software, this worked really well!

I remember a word processing software called "leading edge", you could have someone typing and turn the power off to the computer and you lost nothing (maybe a word), there was no option in the software it just automatically saved what you did.

Thanks for your interest!

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
pendean
in reply to: AL44

You remember wrong or maybe back the "good-ole" DOS days perhaps 🙂
Only time an SC$ does not delete is if you crash out of your file, or you set the SV$ to a location on your Server that your Windows log-in profile has no delete access to. Maybe you need to do that again? We do it here for one fellow who's always had a problem "losing work" and it works great.

Message 3 of 5
AL44
in reply to: pendean

Hi Dean,

Many thanks for the suggestion , I had one go at changing the permissions in windows 7,  in advanced you can DENY delete, but could not seem to get it to work . I may give it another try in the weekend. I think I will change to a specific directory to direct under C:/

At the moment I have added Qsave to my command for "line" in lisp this is quite good, as my drawing tend to be small size.

I think Acad buckled under the pressure of people ringing up complaining that the Acad is filling up the harddisk, but they could have made the change optional.

Message 4 of 5
dgorsman

Or, users are backing up their work with tools like network storage, incremental tape backups, and previous-version software like Shadowcopy.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 5 of 5
rkmcswain

What version of AutoCAD did this?

As far as I know, autosave files have always been deleted when AutoCAD closes.

Why would the software keep them?

If you wanted to save the drawing, you would save it before exiting, meaning it would be newer than any autosave file.

If not, you are closing without saving and there is no need to keep the autosave file.

Simple solution, press Ctrl+S more often than the value of SAVETIME.

If you or your users can't remember to save that often, then set the permissions on your autosave directory so that files can be saved there but not deleted.

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost