AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

Mentor
bvanallen
Message 1 of 17 (1,263 Views)

Starting Autocad without loading a template

1263 Views, 16 Replies
05-07-2009 05:31 AM
Ok, 1% of my work is starting from a new template, and 99% is working on existing drawings. Is it possible to completely start Autocad without having it automatically load a template that I must inevitably close, and confirm that I want to close out of it? I don't want to start in any drawings at all since those change over time, I just want the program to start with my windows startup so I can then open a recent (or different) drawing without having to first close that annoying "Drawing1".
*Dean Saadallah
Message 2 of 17 (1,263 Views)

Re: Starting Autocad without loading a template

05-07-2009 05:50 AM in reply to: bvanallen
>>>...want the program to start with my windows startup ...<<<
STARTUP variable, set it to one.

If you are having to confirm closing drawing1, you have a routine editing
that file causing AutoCAD to prompt you to save. Something you can fix, as
it closes with no prompts here and OOTB.

--
Dean Saadallah
http://LTisACAD.blogspot.com
--
Mentor
bvanallen
Message 3 of 17 (1,263 Views)

05-07-2009 06:19 AM in reply to: bvanallen
Thanks Dean, but your blog didn't have anything regarding a basic startup with no templates. Yes I do have a bunch of lisp routines that run with every opened drawing, but please keep in mind I don't want the a template (and thereby my acad.lsp) to be opened at all when I start Autocad- this is what I'm trying to avoid all together.
**Master
dmfrazier
Message 4 of 17 (1,263 Views)

05-07-2009 06:21 AM in reply to: bvanallen
Why not just double-click your dwg file (or files) in Windows Explorer?
Mentor
bvanallen
Message 5 of 17 (1,263 Views)

05-07-2009 06:37 AM in reply to: bvanallen
Thanks dmfrazier, but as I said I don't want to start with any specific drawings since they do change over time. I currently have a shortcut of acad.exe in my windows startup (along with a few other programs) so I don't have to manually click on it. However, at the same time I don't want to have to close that annoying Drawing1 every time. Simply put, I just want the program to startup so I can then open a drawing of my choosing (in the recent drawing list or from the left hand list of my custom shortcut folders).
**Master
dmfrazier
Message 6 of 17 (1,263 Views)

05-07-2009 07:16 AM in reply to: bvanallen
Since you said:

"...99% is working on existing drawings."

I thought my method would make sense for you, even if you prefer to use AutoCAD (once it's running) as your "window" to other files. I use Windows Explorer as my file manager, so it makes sense for me to locate the file there, then just double-click to open it up.

"...I don't want to start with any specific drawings since they do change over time."

This statement confused me the first time I read it, but now I assume you meant "the drawing I would want to open changes over time."

If you have AutoCAD set to only run ACAD.lsp at application start-up (not with each dwg you open; ACADLSPASDOC = 0), then you could add a line of code in ACAD.lsp that will "close" the template without saving it (and without prompting).
*Dean Saadallah
Message 7 of 17 (1,263 Views)

05-07-2009 07:18 AM in reply to: bvanallen
LOL, no, my blog is for LT users.

Did you set STARTUP variable to 1, close and restart AutoCAD and not get
your startup window to mentioned you wanted?

Or do you want to start AutoCAD for no reason, have it sit idle, then take
an extra step to OPEN and then go hunting for your file(s)? This latter
option is a waste of time, unless you are trying to fool someone into
thinking you are working in AutoCAD LOL

Let someone here know which it is: both the above are heavily discussed and
solved all over this discussion area, all you have to do is search.

--
Dean Saadallah
http://LTisACAD.blogspot.com
--
Distinguished Contributor
donande
Message 8 of 17 (1,263 Views)

05-07-2009 07:36 AM in reply to: bvanallen
I have a “standards” drawing (w/standard layers, layouts, dimstyles, etc) that I always start, then I open the drawing I will be working on and have easy access throw design center of my standards.

FYI: 99% of my work is also on existing drawings and recently I found a great tip. Some where in the videos tips at http://video.cadalyst.com/ she pointed out you can customize the gray area (on the left) in your open/select file pop-up menu. Just delete the one you don’t use (you can always right click and restore them) and add the folders you do use. For me I have folders the campuses I maintain and standard, it so easy to add and remove folders it a good way to have a list of active projects.
Mentor
bvanallen
Message 9 of 17 (1,263 Views)

05-07-2009 07:52 AM in reply to: bvanallen
Thank you so much for your assistance, it appears to be working. Unfortunately my office uses the same networked acad.lsp file, but acadlspasdoc is a local setting, so I'll have to convince them this is a good thing too.

Autodesk, how much would it take to add something like this as an open & save setting under options (maybe a check box- Do not load template at program startup)?
Mentor
bvanallen
Message 10 of 17 (1,263 Views)

05-07-2009 08:28 AM in reply to: bvanallen
Dean, I actually do have STARTUP set to 1 & would like to keep it (the grey box on the left with my custom shortcuts is a great time saver). You are right, when I start my computer in the morning I have it automatically start several programs (then walk away and get my coffee) just so the programs are initialized. Once I'm ready to start working (usually around 5pm-LOL) it takes less time to -then- start with just opening/hunting for my drawings rather than having to start by launching Autocad and open/hunt for my drawings.

I had actually done a search (of my subject title) but nothing definitive came up. Is there a better discussion post I should be looking at? If so, what is it titled?
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.