AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

Active Contributor
mthcadman
Message 1 of 5 (914 Views)

SPLINE Sweep

914 Views, 4 Replies
09-21-2010 12:41 PM

I'm creating a model in which I use an extruded spline for my cable connections. The problem is that the file size is getting enormous to the size of 35MB+.

I was working on project prior to this model that is very similar. I took the same approach when crating my cables with an extruded spline. The odd thing is that the files size of the older job was a fraction of the new job. What could be causing the new spline solid to be exponentially bigger than before?

Thanks

*Pro
Modman_4
Message 2 of 5 (851 Views)

Re: SPLINE Sweep

09-22-2010 07:00 AM in reply to: mthcadman

How many grips on the spline?

I hope my info was useful, but if by some odd chance it actually solved your issue, feel free to mark your post as "Accept as Solution". Thanks! :smileyhappy:
Active Contributor
mthcadman
Message 3 of 5 (843 Views)

09-22-2010 10:06 AM in reply to: Modman_4

Well, that's interesting as well.

I tried to attach an extruded example but the file was too large .

What I did was create extruded a spline in the current drawing, then wblock'ed it into its own drawing....5MB+.

So I cut and pasted the exact same spline into a new drawing, extruded it the exact same way, then saved it...100KB.

It's a setting I'm overlooking.  Turning SOLIDHIST off and purging gave results that aren't really effective...maybe a 100-200KB difference.

I'm a little confused.

So I'm creating the cable in a different drawing and pasting them into the current drawing as a work around.  Kinda stinks.

Thanks

Active Contributor
mthcadman
Message 4 of 5 (840 Views)

09-22-2010 10:16 AM in reply to: Modman_4

Sometimes the extrusion take 1 sec.  The extrusions that take 3+ seconds are the objects that end up being large files.

Could it have anything to do with the UCS?

Attached is an example of a "large file" spline that hasn't been extruded yet.  This particular entity takes  me about 6s to extrude.

Thanks

Active Contributor
mthcadman
Message 5 of 5 (837 Views)

Re: SPLINE Sweep (Perfect example of the problem for me)

09-22-2010 10:26 AM in reply to: mthcadman

Sorry for swamping the topic, but here is a perfect example.  The green spline takes much longer than the blue to extrude.

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.