AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

Valued Mentor
Randy_Culp
Message 11 of 22 (876 Views)

Re: spacemouse plus anyone?

07-14-2010 12:56 PM in reply to: stevenelliott3894

You told me it was faster, it would change my life, it was more productive and a load of other touchy-feely stuff, but not a single functional benefit other than you don't have to cancel a command because you can't see a point. I can't remember ever needing to do that, but that's me.

If it's faster, faster than what, and how is it faster?

If it's more productive, what makes nore productive?

If it's going to change my life, just how will it do that?

Valued Mentor
stevenelliott3894
Message 12 of 22 (873 Views)

07-14-2010 01:03 PM in reply to: Randy_Culp

Faster than using the orbit command.

More productive because it is faster.

Change your life by making you faster and more productive.

If you want more facts, visit the website. I'm not a salesperson. Just a guy trying to help somebody who seems to be obstinate and ungrateful for the help.

It is not my job to hold your hand and make you believe.   ; )

Steven Elliott

When I was a little bitty boy, my grandmother bought me a cute little toy. Silver bells hangin' on a string... she told me it was my ding-a-ling-a-ling!
Valued Mentor
Randy_Culp
Message 13 of 22 (870 Views)

07-14-2010 01:09 PM in reply to: stevenelliott3894

Man I was just looking for some clues. I use orbit rarely, so if that's all it replaces, then I'll keep the hundred bucks.

For something that will "change my life" (which sounds a lot like a used car salesman) asking for a few details doesn't seem difficult.  Apparently it's impossible.

Valued Mentor
stevenelliott3894
Message 14 of 22 (866 Views)

07-14-2010 01:15 PM in reply to: Randy_Culp

'... just looking for some clues.'    LOL    No comment.

'Apparently it's impossible.'   Did anybody ever explain the difference between salt and honey to you?  ; )

I do have to agree, if you don't use the Orbit commands then maybe this isn't for you.

Steven Elliott

When I was a little bitty boy, my grandmother bought me a cute little toy. Silver bells hangin' on a string... she told me it was my ding-a-ling-a-ling!
Active Contributor
jcroker
Message 15 of 22 (857 Views)

07-14-2010 06:06 PM in reply to: Randy_Culp

I have been using a "3D motion controller"/ "3D Mouse"/ or whatever they call it now, for many years. For me it has definitely been worth it. I have acquired them for both home and office. The Space Pilot Pro ($380) I bought for home, currently commutes with me to the office - until the company is able to buy me an upgrade. It has become as integral to my work style as my 17 button mouse (only recently have I given up my digitizer tablet). But it is more than a tool for 3D CAD. I use it in 2D work, as well as other software - 3DS Max, Acrobat, Image viewer, Google Earth... . In fact I am truly disappointed when a software application will not work with it - Mudbox, Imagemodeler (Autodesk please).  I have gotten so used to using it to navigate that I frequently find myself trying to use it in those non-supporting apps - I forget.  And that is perhaps the biggest negative, I have become dependent on it (and other specialized tools) for my best productivity. When my digitizer tablet failed I was miserable. But for the most part I have my workstations configured the way I want and rarely am forced to work outside those configurations. However, I have had performance problems with the Autodesk driver in AutoCAD 2011. Currently I am waiting for those issues to be worked out before I use AutoCAD 2011 - and I am not happy about that.

For me it is better, it is (or has become) more natural, it is faster - Than what? Well any other way, for me. Perhaps it is something you have to try for yourself. And if it doesn't, then fine do it the other way - no biggie here. That is perhaps the best feature of Autodesk products - there are usually  many ways to perform a task, find the one that works best for you.

That is my testimony - take it or leave it :smileyhappy:

Steve, are you using it in AutoCAD 2011?  

I have not had much success with the Space pilot pro in AutoCAD 2011, the performance is so slow that it is unusable for me. I am still working in AutoCAD 2010 because of it.

Valued Mentor
Randy_Culp
Message 16 of 22 (842 Views)

07-15-2010 06:22 AM in reply to: jcroker

I get it, its faster.  Okay I guess the question is a lot harder than I thought it was. Let's make it simpler.  I don't care if it's faster or slower or you love it or hate it or its slick or its ugly or you won't leave home without it.

What does it do?  SPECIFICALLY.

Valued Mentor
stevenelliott3894
Message 17 of 22 (839 Views)

07-15-2010 06:38 AM in reply to: Randy_Culp

Once again: It gives you full (360 degree) rotation of your view around your model, as well as panning left/right and zoom in/out. It also has a varying number of programmable buttons (varies with model).

I cannot fathom how you do 3D modelling without using the orbit commands, so it is difficult to say exactly what benefit it would be to you. However, try to imagine effortlessly rotating and zooming your view to precisely the area you wish to work on, all while keeping your main hand on your mouse.

Perhaps I didn't make this clear before: You use the 3D mouse with the opposite hand that you use the regular mouse. You use both mice together.

Your best bet would be to find a local AutoCAD dealer and ask if they have one to demonstrate for you. Most likely, they will.

Steven Elliott

Valued Mentor
stevenelliott3894
Message 18 of 22 (836 Views)

07-15-2010 06:44 AM in reply to: jcroker

Jcrocker,

I used it briefly in 2011, but having to change the 3D mouse settings every single time I opened a drawing got old real fast, so I am mostly using 2010 now. I don't recall having performance issues in 2011 with my SpaceNavigator... just that it reset my 'enable rolling' (keep view upright) setting on every single drawing. Stupid and unforgivable that they would release it like that.

Steven Elliott

Valued Mentor
Randy_Culp
Message 19 of 22 (832 Views)

07-15-2010 07:27 AM in reply to: stevenelliott3894

We've been doing 3D since long before the orbit feature was available, when it did show up it proved to be slow and cumbersome.  We have a custom two-key function that creates nearly two dozen saved views of the model and a couple two-key functions for quickly restoring those views. (we also have a toolbar for the GUI-crippled bunch)  Coupled with a simple wheel mouse for pan and zoom, we can maneuver around very complex models extremely fast. 

Navigating a 3D model is not a real problem for us (when we ask users for input, better navigating isn't on the list), so it looks a solution without a problem.   I've never used a 3dmouse, nor have I ever seen one in use, but if I knew exactly what it did, it may prove useful, so I was curious.

That said, it could be that our use of Navisworks (and NWNavigator) gives me a different perspective on the use of a 3Dmouse.

Valued Mentor
stevenelliott3894
Message 20 of 22 (830 Views)

07-15-2010 07:40 AM in reply to: Randy_Culp

No matter what kind of macros you have, I guarantee (given equal modelling skills) that a person using a 3D mouse would be much faster at modelling complex solid models than without. If you are truly interested in increasing productivity, it is worth getting a demonstration by somebody skilled in 3D mouse use.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Steven Elliott

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.