Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

(softlock license manager) is not functioning or is improperly installed

32 REPLIES 32
SOLVED
Message 1 of 33
lower1
140346 Views, 32 Replies

(softlock license manager) is not functioning or is improperly installed

I just installed autocad and this is what happened on the first boot.  I've uninstalled, rebooted, reinstalled and rebooted and still got this error.  What can I do?

Here is the exact error:  The security system (softlock license manager) is not functioning or is improperly installed

32 REPLIES 32
Message 2 of 33
TravisNave
in reply to: lower1

This is most certainly a file permissions problem.  Make sure you give Everyone full rights to the following folders/files:

On Vista or Windows 7:

C:\ProgramData\FLEXnet\adskflex_*.data

C:\ProgramData\FLEXnet\adskflex_*.data.backup 

On Windows XP:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\FLEXnet\adskflex_*.data

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\FLEXnet\adskflex_*.data.backup

Always install and run your Autodesk products with local Administrator privileges. 

For faster responses concerning Autodesk licensing issues, please post your questions in the Installation and Network Licensing user forum here:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Installation-Licensing/bd-p/24

Help Improve the Autodesk Discussion Groups
--------------------------------------------------------
If I was able to resolve your issue, please select the "Accept as Solution" option so that you can help fellow members quickly find solutions to their problems. Please add Kudos to a post if you were helped by a post that you did not author.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 3 of 33
rbastian1

This solution did not work.  Is there anything else I can try?  Do I need to uninstall and reinstall?  I am running Windows Vista 32 bit.

Message 4 of 33
jaforii
in reply to: rbastian1

its a late reply, but since i got the same problem (and this is the first hit you get on google) i will tell you how to fix it

shut down the software

simply DELETE the files mentioned above!

Empty recycle bin!

Reopen the software, type in license key again

problem fixed 🙂

Message 5 of 33
danatami

what about windows 8??? i just can't find these files!

Message 6 of 33
pendean

Try setting Win8 to search hidden and locked folders
Message 7 of 33
roadwayws

Here is a Ps to my last post, All my other programs in the suite work.

Now my "cad" just does not even try to open. just shuts down and I dont the Softlock error after deleting the files, and no place to put a serial number.

Message 8 of 33
annie.graf.87
in reply to: roadwayws

hi
i have the same problem
did you mange to fix yours?
if so pleas tell me how

Message 9 of 33

Have you tried to start FLEXnet Licensing Service 64 service?

Message 10 of 33
babymeo18
in reply to: jaforii

the autoCAD 2014 worked in my windows 8 but after the windows 8.1 update, i got that softlock license error and autocad won't open. i did all the steps mentioned and still did not work. i tried also reinstalling it more than 3 times already. i also tried removing the FLEXNET files.. but still did not work.. please help me. i need this for my project study. what should i do??

Message 11 of 33
hannlina

Hi, babymeo18, have u found any solution? I have problems like u.
If u can find any solution, please email me hannlina@hotmail.com

Thanks.
Message 12 of 33
hannlina
in reply to: babymeo18

Hi, have u found any solution?  I have problems like yours, if u found , please email me by hannlina@hotmail.com

Thanks.

Message 13 of 33
CrystalPearson
in reply to: hannlina

You can try these steps:

1. At the Start menu, type MSCONFIG in search box.
2. Right click on MSCONFIG and choose "Run As Administrator"- That should open the System Configuration dialog box.
3. Under the Services tab, choose "Hide all Microsoft Services" and make sure FLEXnet Licensing Service is turned on.
4. If it is not, check the box to turn it on, press Apply and OK, and then Restart your computer. 

I hope this helps!

Message 14 of 33
mavhenry
in reply to: babymeo18

All I had to do is to removed the flexnet folder and restart the program and then it will asked you to activate again.

Message 15 of 33
jrco86

BIG THNX TRAVIS!

Guys i've first time encounter this kind of problem also and many thanks to TRAVIS his the MAN!

All you need to do is to DELETE the folder FLEXNET! and EMPTY your recycle bin and restart!...

This is most certainly a file permissions problem.  Make sure you give Everyone full rights to the following folders/files:

On Vista or Windows 7:

C:\ProgramData\FLEXnet\adskflex_*.data

C:\ProgramData\FLEXnet\adskflex_*.data.backup 

On Windows XP:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\FLEXnet\adskflex_*.data

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\FLEXnet\adskflex_*.data.backup

Always install and run your Autodesk products with local Administrator privileges. 

For faster responses concerning Autodesk licensing issues, please post your questions in the Installation and Network Licensing user forum here:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Installation-Licensing/bd-p/24

Message 16 of 33
tony9599
in reply to: jrco86

OK,... lots of people are saying to simply remove the flexnet folder,.

does anyone know where to find it on windows 8.1?

ive done a search on the internet and on the computer,... and still cant find it.

many thanks

Tony

Message 17 of 33
hannlina
in reply to: tony9599

I just install a new Nvidia driver and it work correctly

DEFAULT_SIGNATURE_IPHONE
Message 18 of 33
tony9599
in reply to: tony9599

just replying to my own query here,...
I found the FLexnet folder under C:\ProgramData\FLEXnet.

the reason I couldn't originally find it was that it is a "hidden" folder. then I deleted the full flexnet folder, and did a full reinstall,.. and
Message 19 of 33
Pontooon
in reply to: TravisNave

My problem was fixed by deleting this Flexnet folder. 

My problem was started after upgrading to Product Design Suite Standard 2014. Inventor would open the splash screen and then crash. AutoCAD would open but it would throw an error code about the softlock not working. Then it would cut off. 

I tried deleting the Flexnet folder but it wouldn't allow me to, saing it was in use. So, I opened the task manager, went to Services, and turned off flexnet. Then I could delete the Flex net folder in C://Program Data/. After deletion and restart, the programs opened up fine. 

I am on Windows 7 Professional, Lenovo W530 laptop. 

Basically, as jrco86 said: "All you need to do is to DELETE the folder FLEXNET! and EMPTY your recycle bin and restart!..."

Thanks Everyone.

Message 20 of 33
cbell1007
in reply to: jaforii

Hello there. I followed your instructions and deleted the above mentioned files and emptied the recycle bin and I am still having the same problem. Do you have any other advice?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report