AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

5 Posts
0 Kudos
Post 1 of 5

Snapping problem

258 Views, 4 Replies
02-28-2012 03:41 PM

I have a problem that occurs every so often while in autocad. I will somehow get autocad into a state where I can only snap to elements and am not able to select a point in empty space. If I dont select a snap point I get an "Invalid Point" prompt. Even when not in a command I will not even be able to start a selection window unless I hit an object snap point. The only way I have been able to fix it is to restart autocad which removes the issue.

Today I decided to investigate a bit further and discovered that if I set OSMODE to 0 I can then again pick points. It seems if OSMODE is non-zero it wont allow me to pick a non-snapped point. Although if it is set to only 0x4000 (osnap off but all snaps already disabled) it does let me select points. Settings of 0x3FFF and 0x7FFF both dont work.

So does anyone have any ideas? I will add that this MAY have something to do with temporary snap overrides which I use, but I can't be sure as whenever I draw I am usually thinking about what I am drawing rather than what commands/actions I am actually using.Also I had this problem in 2007 LT and 2011 LT as well as the 2012 (vanilla, full version).

*Expert Elite*
9,793 Posts
1,210 Kudos
Post 2 of 5

Re: Snapping problem

03-01-2012 11:38 AM in reply to: Stinger.au

Hi,

>> I get an "Invalid Point" prompt. Even when not in a command

Really? Never had that seen or read about something like that ... and as long as you haven't mentioned that you are working on LT my idea was that you have some tools or application(s) running that does that.

I have no idea at the moment, but to get that more clear try next time this happens to pop up your extended command-window (<F2>) and copy the content of the last commands including your inputs to your reply. May be anyone can see/remember to when this may happened and how it may be solved.

- alfred -

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
*Expert Elite*
1,658 Posts
213 Kudos
Post 3 of 5

03-01-2012 11:59 AM in reply to: Stinger.au

Explain exactly how you are setting the running osnaps.  Through the OSNAP settings, a program, etc.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
If something I wrote can be interpreted two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, I meant the other one.
5 Posts
0 Kudos
Post 4 of 5

03-01-2012 03:47 PM in reply to: Stinger.au

I set my osnaps via the Drafting settings dialog. The fiddling around with OSMODE was purely after the fact to try to figure out what was going on.

As for extra tools I have none installed other than what is supplied from the Autodesk 2012 installer (express tools etc.) I did check through my command window to see if I could find something but nothing struck me as out of the ordinary. Unfortunately I can't reproduce the issue at will as yet but if it happens again I will try to remember to take a copy.

*Expert Elite*
1,658 Posts
213 Kudos
Post 5 of 5

03-02-2012 07:15 AM in reply to: Stinger.au

I rarely use running osnaps, I have the osnaps set to the Function keys.  I know when I set one from the Function keys that it will only let me pick on an object, a pick in a blank area will be ignored, and the one time osnap is lost and I have to hit the F key again.  Not a big help but maybe a clue to what is happening for you.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
If something I wrote can be interpreted two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, I meant the other one.
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post