AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

darius_nausedas
Message 1 of 4 (2,309 Views)

Slow Start-up & repeatitive crashes

2309 Views, 3 Replies
07-05-2011 09:23 AM

We are having grief with the new releases. They take a long time to start up and I have had to remove it from one machine because it was crashing the engineer's system completely, he is now running 2011 ACAD only. I tried a reinstall but it had the same failure. I have not tried it a 3rd time because the machine suffers a blue screen crash and the engineer loses everything he is doing even outside of ACAD. I believe our computers could be starting to show their age a little but the
drop in performance from 2011 is far too significant. I have a machine outside our department which we tried the software on it is a Dell XPS Win7 64-bit, 6 GB RAM i-7 Core 2.93 GHz processor which we tried the ACAD 2012 Mechanical 64-Bit package on, it took 3 minutes to start. So I'm not sure our computers are to blame completely.

We have 32 bit machines with Win XP, most of the machines have 2 GB RAM and Intel Core 2 1.86 GHz processors. I'm running with 4 GB of RAM and ACAD 2012 takes 3 minutes to start as opposed to ACAD 2011 which takes less than 30 seconds, even ACAD Mechanical 2011 takes less than 30 seconds on my 4 GB machine. I do not know if there is a solution or if this is something we just have to get used to as the new "norm".

Employee
Bob.Felton
Message 2 of 4 (2,285 Views)

Re: Slow Start-up & repeatitive crashes

07-06-2011 07:34 AM in reply to: darius_nausedas

I just tested AutoCAD Mechanical 2012 start up time on a Win 7 64-bit machine with 8 GB RAM and an Intel Core i7 CPU. 

From shortcut click to command line ready it took 18 seconds.

But, since I had ACM 2012 open earlier in this session, I warm-booted and tested startup again.

ACM 2012 start after warm boot took 1:11. When I closed and restarted, the startup returned to 18 seconds.

On the problem machine that you mentioned that suffers a blue screen crash, the video driver likely needs updating to a certified version for that specific make and model from here:  AutoCAD Certified Hardware

Bob Felton
Autodesk Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

Siamak
Message 3 of 4 (2,051 Views)

08-15-2011 09:53 AM in reply to: darius_nausedas

Same here and I had to reinstall CAD for the group!!!

darius_nausedas
Message 4 of 4 (1,987 Views)

08-30-2011 06:27 AM in reply to: Bob.Felton

The engineer with the blue screen issue did receive an update to the video driver but we have not tried ACAD 2012 again. Since the problem does not occur right away, gambling on when it will happen is not something I can test for. We're not installing 2012 on his machine ever again.

This week I installed ACAD 2012 on my boss' computer. It crashed his computer. I checked the status of his video driver because I remembered your posting to this being a the culprit, there were no new drivers available, he had the latest driver for his ACAD authorized video card. I suggested removing the software and installng 2011 ACAD and that's what we will do for any 2012 crashes moving forward.

Since April I have not used ACAD 2012 Mech, not because it crashes, although it is slower at start-up, but because it just seems like they took a step back a few issues with it. There is nothing but grief trying to get the software to remember to load my profile. I find myself always manually activating the ribbon, turning off the grid, turning off the menubar, etc.

We'll wait until the next release to see if ACAD can release something that doesn't run like a Beta release.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.