Slow! Commands, Viewports and Model Space

18 REPLIES 18
SOLVED
Message 1 of 19
wmillerGWS
2940 Views, 18 Replies

Slow! Commands, Viewports and Model Space

Good day - 

Before we begin:  I am a "green" drafsman, of nominal experience (one year) - yet I've been lucky enough to sift through nearly every computer since the Apple II GS.  

Currently, I am employed by a Civil Engineering firm - in which AutoCAD 2011 is the program they've chosen as the vessel of production (in this instance, lack thereof).  

The problem we are experiencing is an EXTREME wait time when:

-Entering/exiting model space through viewports (especially)

-Using virtually any command within model space

The problem also occurs whilst opening a drawing (with or without) multiple and/or large external references.  When coppled with opening AutoCAD for the first time, the wait time is astronomical.  It still works, yet completely defeats the purpose of getting anything done within a given time frame.

In the past, I've noticed that these simple functions/commands are completed within the range of, say, a few meager nanoseconds; they have now instantaneously grown to be 10, 20, 30+ seconds to complete actions as basic as drawing a polyline with two vertices.

This problem happened at the beginning of the day yesterday, and is ongoing.  It happens across the board, whether the computer in question is mine (XP 64-bit SP2) or that of a colleague (Windows 7/8, all computers are quad-core i5 or xeon with more than the required RAM).  This makes me wonder if it's a network issue - as a few people here have mentioned that for each and every command entered, they see an Autodesk licensing script print through their text windows.

In addition to these symptomatic hiccups... I've noticed that when clicking inside the viewport in an attempt to enter model space, the ability to see the pointer/crosshairs is not available (within the area in which the AutoCAD program window was previously housed) until AutoCAD "snaps out of it" and performs the action.  However, when double-clicking back into paper space (or using the PS variable) the mouse pointer is visible across the entire program area, but of course, no cross-hairs; as AutoCAD is still in this meandering state of not knowing when to make an appearance.

After going through the "natural steps"; everything from checking drivers, updates, restarts, defragmenting & inherent maintenance - the problem still persists.

Naturally, I scoured the forums for any shred of helpful information - and was left with nothing but despair!  Are forums the only way to contact Autodesk?  Granted, having (or outsourcing) a call center full of skilled employees could be expensive - but a total lack of customer service makes me wonder how on earth they are still in business.  My apologies for the resent, but it seems to be a bit ridiculous.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
Murph_Map
in reply to: wmillerGWS

First off if they offered free support to everyone they wouldn't stay in business either. So if you are on subscription you can get help from the subscription site.

Have you tried to clean out the users temp folders, what are the specs of the workstation and what size of dwg are you working on? Have you purged unused block/layers etc. from the dwgs. 

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 3 of 19
wmillerGWS
in reply to: Murph_Map

Well, we have a subscription.  It amazes me that there is no portal (of sorts) to place users in the caring hands of someone with a pulse.

I realize you must cover all the bases, but I've done all the Simpleton stuff - cleared cache/temp files, audited, purged and defragmented.  The problem is occuring across the board - regardless of workstation or drawing size.  

Thanks for your reply - I appreciate your time.  It now appears that I must dig through another colossal pile of unnecessary prompts, webpages and forums; this, of course, if I can extrapolate the login information from our outsourced IT department.

What a headache.

Message 4 of 19
wmillerGWS

Please disgregard the last post - after consulting with our defacto in-house IT manager, I've come to find out that our company has not elected to have a subscription.  We only have the license.

So much for support.  Thanks for your help.

Message 5 of 19
nestly2

Since the problem occurred suddenly and affects all computers and all files, I would check with your IT department to see what they changed, as that does seem like a network related problem.

Message 6 of 19
wmillerGWS
in reply to: nestly2

I agree.  It simply doesn't make sense that it would be an AutoCAD issue - as the program still works, yet is being bound by some form of communication.  I've heard that there's a difference between a stand-alone license and a server license (besides the obvious) - and being that it's passing through the server could very well be the problem.

Many thanks for the help; it is much appreciated.

Message 7 of 19
wmillerGWS

We had our outsourced IT department restart our server, and are still experiencing the problem.  I caught wind of Autodesk switching to a new system (in which all purchasers must buy the seat at the beginning of each year)... while I'm not sure if this applies to licensing as well, it could also be why we are having troubles.

My hands are effectively tied at this point, as our company has elected not to purchase a subscription.  Back to the drawing board (no pun intended).

I'll post a success story if we come across one!

Message 8 of 19

Hi,

what happens if you disconnect your workstation from network (if you are on network-licensing then borrow first a license), disable the antivirus software and see if there is a difference now.

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 9 of 19

Bless your soul!

It appears the problem alleviates itself after following your instructions (switching in/out of viewports, or entering model space now happens at the drop of a hat.. as it did before we had issues).  

However, when we go to perform a command, it waits for the license while giving an error code [18] "Trying to obtain license...", etc.

Message 10 of 19

Hi,

>> it waits for the license while giving an error code [18] "Trying to obtain license..."

Are you working with local licensing or do you have a network license?

At least, if a disconnected network makes your AutoCAD faster then there are two possibilities:

Your AutoCAD configuration points to something in the network that is defect, not available or limited in permissions. E.g. when you have local printerdrivers installed and on the server the printer was removed then AutoCAD (sometimes scanning the printers and the PC3-files, which references tp printer drivers) may have performance lag's. The same is valid for network drives, if they are removed or the permissions changed.

The other option is that the license server can't be found (or only be found with limitations). That can happen with DNS conflicts, problems with proxy-settings, firewall-settings, ... so at least when there were changed done by IT they should know what they changed and how to undo them.

Good luck, - alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 11 of 19

We have a network license.  According to our outsourced IT department, they haven't changed a single setting in at least two months.  (Our problem began occuring Tuesday morning).  I did notice, however, that my firewall was disabled and controlled by a Group setting - this could have been the work of our defacto in-house IT gentleman, perhaps for spreading the license out over our network.  

A glimmer of hope:  I had a colleague perform the exact same actions, and his AutoCAD is now lightning fast without any of the aforementioned issues.  Whereas mine is still in limbo, with the same symptoms and problems as before.  I am running XP 64-bit/SP2, while he uses Windows 7 64-bit/SP1.  

I'll do a little digging with regard to the settings, and post back once more.

Thanks again; I sincerely appreciate your time.

Message 12 of 19
wmillerGWS

No luck as of yet.  I fear that the problem lies in the server settings, as you spoke of.  In all honesty, our outsourced IT department is stumped - and our defacto in-house IT gentleman has stated that since we don't have a subscription, we're S.O.L.

Perhaps "License of SCAD_2007_SURVEY granted successfully" is displayed every time you generate a 2D polyline (or with other commands/lisps), but I've never seen it there before.  It's the only goofy thing I've noticed in the command line window history, spare the synchronous lag experienced in AutoCAD proper.

Any ideas about why the Windows 7 user here got his to work?  He performed the same steps as you instructed me to do; yet with vastly different results!  His works faster than it did before, while mine is virtually the same.  

If I remember correctly, there are different configuration files for XP vs. Windows 7 on any given server; could this be an/the issue?

***Update:  As I was preparing this post, the Windows 7 user I spoke of opened his properties window - and the problem came back.  He shut down AutoCAD, (and without opening his properties window) his computer began works as it should.  Hope this helps.

No rush, it's friday after all!  Thanks again for all of your help, everyone.

Message 13 of 19

Hi,

>> License of SCAD_2007_SURVEY granted successfully

Are we speaking about an AutoCAD issue or do you have an application on top of AutoCAD (like "SCAD" or anything "...SURVEY...") that is the source of the problem?

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 14 of 19

Yes, we run Carlson Civil Suite 2011 on top of AutoCAD.  I've already contacted Carlson, had the chance to speak to a customer service technician (and later to his supervisor) - now I'm awaiting a call from their licensing 'crew', if you will.

Granted, he spoke in a thick eastern european accent, but the supervisor asked all of the right questions (this, of course, after the Simpleton run of 'is the computer turned on' type of stuff).  We seemed to narrow it down to a server issue, licensing being the integral part of how our version of the program works to begin with... whether it be Carlson or Autodesk providing such.

It's strange that this problem started as we arrived to work on Tuesday.  I hear there are some Windows Server updates that arrive on the third Tuesday of every month... perhaps that could have something to do with it.

Message 15 of 19

Hi,

>> Yes, we run Carlson Civil Suite 2011 on top of AutoCAD

Do you have the chance to create an AutoCAD profile that runs AutoCAD without loading the application? ...just to see the performance then?

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 16 of 19
wmillerGWS

Yes, sir.  We just performed a test run in AutoCAD by itself.  Here's what we found:

Shortly before we tried this, my colleague noticed that when he closed his properties window, then closed and restarted AutoCAD - the problem was fixed.  When he entered 'properties' into his command line window.. the problem came back.

We loaded AutoCAD without Carlson Civil Suite 2011, and everything was running as it should be.  No lag, responsive commands, etc.  When we introduced 'properties' into the command line window, the lag came back, rendering the program slow once more.  Also, this error message popped up:

"The following shortcuts in the search were invalid and ignored:  X:\drafting\autocad\Plot Styles\Create a Print Style Table.Ink"

I'm not sure what the hell a shortcut to 'Creating a Print Style Table' has to do with opening the properties window... but I've been surprised before.

You are a very kind soul... thanks for all your help.

Message 17 of 19

Hi,

>> Also, this error message popped up:

>> "The following shortcuts in the search were invalid and ignored: [...]

Well, I guess you found out the file (at least one of maybe more) that points to anything not existing any more.

Move this file:

X:\drafting\autocad\Plot Styles\Create a Print Style Table

to any other place, but not within that directory as it seems to point to an exe from another AutoCAD installation (or release).

Then restart AutoCAD and see what happens.

>> I'm not sure what the hell a shortcut to 'Creating a Print Style Table' has to do with opening the properties window

As long as you have not selected anything the property window shows the settings of your current space, so also the assigned plot style table ... therefor AutoCAD has to see in the directory of the plot styles if that assigned CTB/STB exists. And during the scan the shortcuts are evaluated. Not correctly referenced shortcuts can be frustrating for performance reasons.

And one additional suggestion: when you are mixing plot styles for different AutoCAD (types of verticals and/or releases), then you might have the same problem for printers as well (the add printer wizard).

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 18 of 19

Thank you sir, this has alleviated our problem!

I can't thank you enough!  You've just saved us a considerable amount of time, man hours and support.

You have my sincere gratitude.  Best wishes for a happy and prosperous new year.

Message 19 of 19

Hi,

you are very welcome, good to know all is working fine now for you!

Also a Happy New Year, - alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost