AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

JerseyEngineer
Message 1 of 8 (1,349 Views)

Selection Cycling with Xref's

1349 Views, 7 Replies
06-14-2010 04:18 AM

Hello Everbody.

Was wandering if anybody could offer some help on a little problem I am encountering with my new Installation on 3 number machines.

When using selection cycling (which I think is brilliant, shame we didn't have it 15 years ago) with an xref attached the application slows right down to the point where moving the mouse results in the cross hairs jumping around and making using anything almost impossible.  Turning the xref off or turning selection cycling off restores perfoemance to how it should be.  If both are on I just cannot use the programme at all, shame really as this new feature is neat.  I use x'refs extensively so this fault restricts use of the new feature.

Anybody else having this trouble or can anybody offer any advise as to why this happening.

I am running a Quad core 6600 intel processor

4gb Ram

Nvidia Quadro NVS 290

32 bit Windows Vista Business

Thanks in advance

Mentor
lawrencerobinson5
Message 2 of 8 (1,296 Views)

Re: Selection Cycling with Xref's

06-15-2010 09:30 AM in reply to: JerseyEngineer

I have not encountered any issues related to selection cycling, and I've used it with xrefs.  I see no slow down whatsoever.  While I don't know as a certainty that this will solve your problem I would suggest updating your graphics driver.  I had some initial slow downs even on my window 7 machine with xeon processors due to the graphics driver being old.  When I attempted to use the "update driver" option from the graphics card (nvidia quadro fx580) it said I was up to date.  When I went to the nvidia website there was a 6 month newer driver that fixed my autocad slow down issues.  I know that the slowdowns may not seem graphics related they likely are.

So go to Nvidia website and download the latest driver and try that. 

Hopefully this will solve your problem.

Lawrence

carl.lowrey
Message 3 of 8 (1,243 Views)

06-23-2010 09:31 PM in reply to: JerseyEngineer

I am experiencing the same issue - agree that it is a great tool but does not apear to work over large xref files.

I have checked it on both XP and 7 machines both using NVIDIA Quadro FX1700 cards with latest drivers with additional NVIDIA AutoCAD performace driver.

I don't belive that this is a driver issue unless it is specific to NVIDIA.

Carl

Mentor
lawrencerobinson5
Message 4 of 8 (1,219 Views)

06-24-2010 10:43 AM in reply to: carl.lowrey

The latest driver release 258.49 dated 6/17/2010, do not install the performance driver.  This is an NVIDIA driver issue, some users in my office have had the same issues with selection cycling and it was corrected with the new driver.  If you still doubt me please call support from  your local Autodesk reseller and they will tell you the same thing.

Lawrence

JerseyEngineer
Message 5 of 8 (1,192 Views)

06-25-2010 04:21 AM in reply to: JerseyEngineer

Thanks Lawrence,

that seems to have fixed the issue.

Thanks for your time.

Regards

Paul.

carl.lowrey
Message 6 of 8 (1,167 Views)

06-27-2010 02:40 PM in reply to: JerseyEngineer

Hi Lawrence

We were already using 258.49 but with the AutoCAD performance driver. However, uninstalling the performance driver made no difference - still unusable on a large xref file.

I have since tried it on another machine using an ATI Radeon card and different file - same result - too jumpy to be usable.

If it is a driver issue it is not specific to NVIDIA.

Carl

*Expert Elite*
LeafRiders
Message 7 of 8 (566 Views)

03-28-2011 04:31 PM in reply to: JerseyEngineer

I've had some issues with this one as well. Automatically defaulted this to off and quit using it.  I can't seem get the Shift + Space to cycle line and xref (If you can get this to work please let me know).

I've really been working on performance because everything seems to be running terrible lately. I was convinced it has to do with network system files, xrefs, license, etc. There is no wonder everything is slowing down lately.

Two things I can offer up at this point is and seems to have helped in more areas than one for me recently. Turn off NAVVCUBEDISPLAY and See Below.

1)  Bottom Right corner - Ensure Adaptive Degradation and Hardware Acceleration are checked ON.

2)  Possibly the tip of the year via AUGI email. You may need to start by adding the right-click option to your DWG File types. Add this manually: Go to Windows Explorer  - Tools / Folder Options / File Types / DWG / Advanced...

AutoCAD “Out of the Box” is not tuned to perform particularly well in a WAN environment. This tip is about ways to make AutoCAD respond faster in a networked environment.  After implmenting central file serverices with Riverbed appliances the performance and usage of AutoCAD drawing become almost unusable when browsing for a file in Windows Explorer. AutoCAD files were located on a LAN connected file server before and migrated.

Autodesk’s Infamous Explorer Shell Extension
Since Autodesk included the ability to add digital signatures to drawings, they’ve also included an Explorer shell extension that allows Explorer to display signed .DWG files with a different icon than unsigned .DWG files. When Explorer lists .DWG files in a folder, it has to examine each file to determine whether or not it is signed and then display the correct icon. This takes time. On your local workstation’s folders the extra time is insignificant; however on a LAN the lag is noticeable, and across the WAN the lag can be crippling. The Explore lag occurs in AutoCAD File Dialogs as well as just plain Explorer.
phpk7zErL
By default this shell extension is installed and enabled with any Autodesk product.
To disable it:

• Right-click on any .DWG file and choose “Enable/Disable Digital Signature Icons” from the menu.
  • In the Signature Validation Options dialog uncheck the “Validate digital signatures and display special icons” check box. 
  • Click OK and Reboot.

phpLld3CW

Any AutoCAD product install or update will re-enable this shell extension, so you may get to do this more than one time. Anytime your browser access becomes slow, check this setting.

Disabling the the digital signature icon display does not invalidate a drawing’s digital signature. End users are still notified on Open that they’re opening a signed drawing.

Active Contributor
xEndlessxUrbiax
Message 8 of 8 (321 Views)

02-24-2012 01:04 PM in reply to: JerseyEngineer

How do you even use selection cycling through xref's?
I have the icon turned on, and I use it often in files, I just don't see it working through an xref. I'm trying to tag something in a View drawing but it won't let me select the right line to tag because there are too many objects on top of each other.  

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.