Did you mean: 

same layouts in one drawing but slow switching to one of them

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
wang890
1914 Views, 9 Replies

same layouts in one drawing but slow switching to one of them

i have a test drawing attached with layout 1 and layout 2.

from model to layout 1 takes 2-3 seconds on my crappy computer, from model to layout 2 takes 8-10 seconds on the same crappy computer.

this sample i attached has a xref binded. which result is the same 3 and  8 seconds respectively.

you may think this is not a big deal. but layout 1 will take 10 seconds to to switch to if you have 5 xref while layout 2 will take a minute.

i did my research and haven't find the difference in variables between the two paperspace layouts.

tried all the variables made no difference:

psltscale, msltscale, celtscale, savefidelity, etc.

also set both viewoprts to undefined same thing.

the only difference is "1" is created from a blank autocad template by selecting "metric - no template", and "2" is imported from a civil 3d dwg after done a plan/profile production and that thing created that layout.

is there a tool to compare all variables between 2 layouts and find the differences? i am certain the problem lie within system variables.

Stantec
Dell Precision 5530, Prism M320PU, C3D 14/17/19
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
braudpat
in reply to: wang890

Hello from France

Not sure to well understand your problem !?

Just an idea, please check the System variable LAYOUTREGENCTL !

LAYOUTREGENCTL = 2 please

So all "spaces" (Model+Layouts) will be in cache, but you need time to go for the first time in a new "space"

Afer the switch must be "fast" but it depends from the complexity of the layout ...

Just an other idea :

Have you the same problem with/without Graphic Hardware Acceleration ? 

Bye, Pat

Patrice ( Supporting Troops ) - Autodesk Expert Elite
If you are happy with my answer please mark "Accept as Solution" and if very happy please give me a Kudos (Felicitations) - Thanks

Patrice BRAUD

EESignature

Message 3 of 10
pendean

Using the free DWGTRUEVIEW 2013 on my laptop, it took +/-1 second to jump from modelspace or either layout.
Using AutoCAD LT2014 on my other slower laptop, it took almost the same amount of time, maybe a tick slower.

I don't have Civil 3D to test your file.

The AutoCAD Exchange App Store, which I believe is available to all 2012 versions, there is a dwg compare app that you can use.

Message 4 of 10
braudpat

Hello

With MAP 2012 (without CIVIL Enabler), Open in Recover Mode --> 1 error corrected

LAYOUTREGENCTL = 2

RegenAll in Model Space

Switch to "1" then RegenAll

Switch to "2" then RegenAll

AFTER switching in maximum 0.2 second !

With CIVIL 2014, Open in Recover Mode --> 12 errors corrected

Then same actions ...

AFTER switching in maximum 0.2 second !

So No problem for me !

Bye, Pat

If you are happy with my answer please mark "Accept as Solution" and if very happy please give me a Kudos (Felicitations) - Thanks

Patrice BRAUD

EESignature

Message 5 of 10
wang890
in reply to: braudpat

thanks for the reply.

but layoutregenctl should be 0 for reduced memory load. having 2 you can end up using a lot of memory. but really it's cheaper for company to dump in 32gb or ram just to fix this kinda thing.

however first time entering the layout is when it's most important. not subsequent ones. you see what i am saying?

the 2014 may fix something since it's 2 years ahead and kinks in programming code may have been fixed.

guess i have to live with it.

thanks for downloading the big file though.

Stantec
Message 6 of 10
braudpat

Hello

YES they are some many bugs/horrors inside AutoCAD code which could be easily corrected

IF programmers/developpers would have time to write correct / optimised / reasonnable tested code / etc ...

BUT in reality, they have one order :

Finish the code/routine/function/etc ASAP without any optimisation ---> people can buy today PC with 16 GB or more , so no problem !

Don't spend too much time to test ... because we can release later Update/Service Pack and patches ...

I exagerate a little bit but it's the true (in France so maybe the same in USA ?) - I know a lot of french programmers/developpers !

Some Domains where people have to produce high quality , well tested , well optimized , etc , code is :

AeroSpace Domain for Satellite (Code for Jets/planes is less tested) because it's difficult and very long to update ... and sometimes impossible !

Critical Communications Systems : imagine that all CISCO routers fail because of a major bug !

Military Critical Systems : no comment !

etc

I agree with you ... Bye, Pat

PS: I am a very old user of AutoCAD versions since R1.4 in 1984 ...

In the years 1985-2000 approximatively, developpers have to produce efficent code because PCs had some limitations !

I remember well the old PCs with a maximum of 640 Ko usable Ram for DOS and all programs ...

Patrice BRAUD

EESignature

Message 7 of 10
pendean

You can download a free trial of Civil 3D 2014 and find out for yourself if it's a software or something else.
Message 8 of 10
wang890
in reply to: pendean

ok you guys know what it is only this creek xref causing the problem. even the 5m contours xref which has way more polylines and vertices is still fast. i am gonna look at just at this file. it is already w'blocked out so wonder why still like this.oh it did say one thing:

Command: xr CLASSICXREF
Reload Xref "A8RP-CREEKS": R:\CAD\210_CIVIL\DWGVA\AutoCAD\XREF\A8RP-CREEKS.dwg
[gte_forms] could not be located.
"A8RP-CREEKS" loaded.

is that font or what can't be located?

the contours one doesn't say that.

i am gonna try export this to autocad using the civil 3d export to autocad 2010 format and see if it's good. just remembered i can do that.

the contours are spit out from civil 3d obviously and it's clean.

Stantec
Message 9 of 10
wang890

alright. looks like i found the culprit.

there are some russian linetypes forced on some polyline objects that's not bylayer. i bylayered it and purged all the linetypes out and now it's super fast to switch layouts.

just FYI

use these to change all objects are faster:

-ch

all

p

then can do whatever like lt, colour this and that.

then type "byl"

oldschool commands have some great stuff like this. learnt from previous boss. have to take knowledge from everyone to become powerful.

thanks dudes.

Stantec
Message 10 of 10
srinijaroy

Hallo,

Actually, I don't know the details of Autocad but l heard about it. And now I got lotof knowledge from this thread. Nice thread.

Thanks.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost