AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

Active Contributor
bluebull
Message 1 of 15 (893 Views)
Accepted Solution

Rotating the UCS

893 Views, 14 Replies
01-26-2013 11:00 PM

Virtually all coordinate entry as well as many other tools and operations reference the current UCS. 2D tools.   

• Absolute and relative coordinate entry              
  • Absolute reference angles              
  • Definition of horizontal and vertical for Ortho mode, polar tracking, object snap tracking, grid display,                  and grid snap              
  • Orientation of horizontal and vertical dimensions              
  • Orientation of text objects              
  • View rotation using the PLAN command              

Moving or rotating the UCS can make it easier to work on particular areas of a drawing.           

All this is very good when applied accordingly.

However when selecting an object or a portion of the dwg. crossing - window , (a good exemple is stretching) the selection of the area is still  'rectangular' from the ortho of 0° or 90°.  This cross-window selection should follow the direction of the ortho angle selected. Is there a command or a setting in order for this operation to take place?  IF NOT for future autoCad releases or a update for current releases should be reviewed and implemented

Ok, I think I understand what you're asking about, and yes, it would be useful sometimes.

But if you use the approach I described, you can basically accomplish the same thing.  Instead of selecting at an angle on the screen, you twist the drawing angle till it matches the screen.  Either way you can still get the selection box to be parallel to any particular part of the drawing.  And this has the advantage of avoiding playing around with the UCS, since that can wreck havoc on certain drawings.

I have a lisp that sets the DVIEW TWIST and the SNAPANG easily by clicking points on screen, or by selecting a line, block or text object.  I'll post it here if you're interested.

*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 2 of 15 (882 Views)

Re: Rotating the UCS

01-27-2013 12:58 AM in reply to: bluebull

Hi,

>> the selection of the area is still  'rectangular' from the ortho of 0° or 90°

At least that does not depend on UCS, it depends on the view. If you change the UCS you can run command _PLAN with option Current UCS, then your selection-window is parallel to your UCS.

I guess the selection window will always stay parallel to your screen/view, otherwise it would not be possible in views looking parallel to XY-plane (left/right/front/back) or any 3D-view (parallel or perspective mode).

- alfred -

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at
Active Contributor
bluebull
Message 3 of 15 (869 Views)

01-27-2013 09:58 AM in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

THE RESULTS ARE STILL NOT SATISFACTORY........IF ORTHO ANGLE AS BEEN CHANGED, COMMAND 'PLAN' WILL ONLY ROTATE THE ENTIRE DWG. AND ORTHO WILL RETURN TO 0° OR 90° (WORLD).......SELECTION WINDOW  IS STILL RECTAG.  AND THERE IS PRECISION WORK  NEEDED TO REMOVE PARTS THAT YOU NOT  WANT TO ALTER OR STRETCH...........

*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 4 of 15 (864 Views)

01-27-2013 10:05 AM in reply to: bluebull

Hi,

>> SELECTION WINDOW  IS STILL RECTAG

May I ask you what do you estimate to be a selection window other than a rectangle?

And if you need another type of object selection you might also use WindowPolygon or CrossingPolygon (but I guess you will also say that you have to be "precission" while selecting objects).

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at
*Expert Elite*
AllenJessup
Message 5 of 15 (826 Views)

01-29-2013 11:37 AM in reply to: bluebull

Not sure what you're getting at, but if you have ortho at an angle with the coordinate system and have ortho on. You can us the WP and CP selection options. These can be non-rectangular and will follow the ortho angle with ortho on.

Active Contributor
bluebull
Message 6 of 15 (810 Views)

01-29-2013 07:15 PM in reply to: AllenJessup

I appreciate your attention, however when the ortho angle is changed the windows select for 'copy','move', 'stretch' etc..... The rectangle always maintains 0° / 90° it does not follow the ortho angle the way 0° / 90° does. 

When performing an operation at a angled ortho especially stretch there's a lot of removable items to be done before stretching the portion of the dwg. desired.

Alex B.

*Expert Elite*
troma
Message 7 of 15 (787 Views)

02-01-2013 11:45 AM in reply to: bluebull

As Alfred said " that does not depend on UCS, it depends on the view".

Set your DVIEW TWIST.  The selection will still be rectangular, but parallel to the view.

Credit where credit is due! Give kudos or accept as solution whenever you can.

Active Contributor
bluebull
Message 8 of 15 (779 Views)

02-01-2013 12:31 PM in reply to: troma

The  command DVIEW TWIST is quite interesting,  has its function when exactly to apply  it not quite sure.  However  in whichever way we change the the Ortho or twist the drawing the window select on the screen maintains  0° - 90° rectangle......Does not follow the angle of the line or the drawing. Now do you understand what I am trying  accomplish?

I do not think this feature is available with any current autoCAD release. Perhaps in the future .

Thank you for your interest.

*Expert Elite*
troma
Message 9 of 15 (774 Views)

02-01-2013 01:34 PM in reply to: bluebull

I don't think I know what you're trying to acomplish.

You can set the dview twist to be parallel to any part of your drawing.  Then your selection box will also be parallel to that part of the drawing.  Isn't that what you're aiming for?

Credit where credit is due! Give kudos or accept as solution whenever you can.

Active Contributor
bluebull
Message 10 of 15 (766 Views)

02-01-2013 10:11 PM in reply to: troma

Well lets approach this issue with the following steps:  lets set our ortho angle @  30° , select command  to drawer a rectangle .... Have you noticed  that the formation of the rectangle follows the ortho angle set?   Well thats how I want the select window to function,  whatever angle the ortho is set  the select window should follow,  specially in the application of stretch.

Thank you

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.