has not switched the buttons on the status bar
to display text.
Distinguished Contributor
keithc03
Message 2 of 8 (409 Views)

Re: Ribbon = Screen Menu

06-15-2009 12:51 AM in reply to: Ian_Bryant
with you on the screen menu
new and improved=old and revamped .......(and Unecessary)
*Brian Harder
Message 3 of 8 (409 Views)

06-18-2009 03:15 PM in reply to: Ian_Bryant

Exactly.  I've been waiting for someone to
draw that comparison.

-Brian Harder

style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
Hi,
My impression of the ribbon is that it is the same as old screen menu but with
icons in place of text. What annoys me is that the icons change with every
release of Autocad. Look at the Match Properties icon. Who who has used Autocd
for a while, has not switched the buttons on the status bar to display
text.
Active Contributor
bdeshawn
Message 4 of 8 (329 Views)

07-01-2011 07:57 AM in reply to: Ian_Bryant

The screen menu was actually BETTER!  Because like you say, the text didn't change like the icons are changing, and it was very intuitive.  The big reason they were giving for the screen menu's demise it that it took up too much screen real estate.  Well, DUH!  HELLLOOOOO!  The ribbon takes up a WHOLE LOT MORE REAL ESTATE THAN THE SCREEN MENU EVER DID!  Who in the hell do they think they're kidding?  Thank  you Autodesk for allowing the RIBBONCLOSE and the MENUBAR commands.  That ribbon is just a bunch of glitzy crap that slows us down.  Lose it!

SteveAdams8888
Message 5 of 8 (315 Views)

07-03-2011 10:39 AM in reply to: bdeshawn

Yeh, I keep the Ribbon turned off and use ToolPalettes as my screen menu. I only use icons for my Block palettes, the rest are just text.

The ToolPalettes are great for their ease of editing, but if you pick an item too fast it drags it to a new position in the palette.

Thanks,
Steve

C3d 2010 (no SP)
Win7

*Expert Elite*
dgorsman
Message 6 of 8 (299 Views)

07-04-2011 12:32 PM in reply to: bdeshawn

I'll throw out a contrary opnion.  I like the ribbon, and find it uses *less* space proportionally than the old screen menu due to the higher resolution monitors in use (and auto-hide, and three different minimized states, and horizontal/vertical placement, and folded panels, and...).  I find myself using very few if any toolbars or menus in AutoCAD anymore.  Even when I find myself missing a toolbar I'll tear off a panel or two to create floating uber-toolbars instead.  With the most common commands being aliased through PGP settings, I can keep panels with less common commands front and center for when I need them.

Interfaces change, icons change, work processes change.  Its the nature of the software beast and its only going to get worse as newer, faster, smaller hardware spurs more innovations.  If you can't adapt to a rapidly changing environment, you are definitely in the wrong business.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
Adopt. Adapt. Overcome. Or be overcome.
A good question will be halfway to a good answer.

keithc03
Message 7 of 8 (202 Views)

06-13-2012 06:46 AM in reply to: keithc03
Spoiler

NOTE to self

actually prefer the ribbon ......have done for some time now

There's no going back NEVER sometimes you just need to be pushed in the right direction

just hope they take the CLASSIC out like they did with screen menus

Now there's a thought A Clean AutoCAD with ALL the legacy obselete commands stripped out

A LEAN MEAN CAD MACHINE AUTOCAD 2014 !! or 2013.new

*Pro
nestly
Message 8 of 8 (198 Views)

06-13-2012 07:04 AM in reply to: keithc03

You could strip every single legacy command out of AutoCAD and it still wouldn't save enough resources to offset the overhead added just by AutoComplete, much less the Ribbon. 

"Lean and Mean",  yeah, you can't get there by stuffing something full of fluff....

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.