Did you mean: 

Replacing Embedded blocks with another Block

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
RockyBrown4134
2477 Views, 6 Replies

Replacing Embedded blocks with another Block

I was asked if there was a way to replace an embedded (Nested) block inside of multiple blocks, with another block. I thought of Express Tool's  "Replace Block with Another Block", that that only works with blocks inside the drawing, not nested blocks. The only other way I know of is to redefine the block current block, then rename it to the new name.

Just to satisfy my curiosity, is there another way? 

Thanks.

If this response answers your question, Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution"

Rocky Brown
AutoCAD 2020 / Inventor 2020 / Plant 3D
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Patchy
in reply to: RockyBrown4134

Maybe BEDIT

Message 3 of 7
RockyBrown4134
in reply to: Patchy

Yes, That's one way to redefine the block inside the drawing.

If this response answers your question, Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution"

Rocky Brown
Message 4 of 7

Hi,

if you want to replace all insertions of a specific block (all blocks with name X should be replaced) you can use the _INSERT command, select an external drawing and confirm the replacement or you can use design-center, select the drawing or block definition in an external drawing and use right click to replace it.

If you don't want to replace it globally you have to decide block-type by block-type using BEDIT as already suggested.

HTH, - alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 5 of 7

_INSERT command, select an external drawing and confirm the replacement or you can use design-center, select the drawing or block definition in an external drawing and use right click to replace it.

Yes, this is what we consider "redefining" the block.

The originalquestion that was asked to me, the intent was to keep the old nested block, but replace it with another block. (i.e. Replace a 60 watt light bulb with a 40 watt light bulb. The 60 watt bulb is still good, you just wanted a 40 watt light bulb instead.)

Rocky Brown
Message 6 of 7
dmfrazier
in reply to: RockyBrown4134

If you want to replace all inserts (copies) of a particular block (definition) with a new block (definition) and still retain the old block (definition), your simplest option is to do as you suggested in your original post: "Replace Block with Another Block"

When you say, "...that only works with blocks inside the drawing, not nested blocks", it's not entirely accurate.

"Nested blocks" are "blocks inside the drawing", so BLOCKREPLACE will work perfectly fine with those.

And, it's true that the new block (definition) must be already in the current DWG, so simply insert a copy of the new block into the DWG (using you favorite method - I like to use DesignCenter to pull it in from a reliable source DWG) before using BLOCKREPLACE.  Just erase it after inserting.  Now you can specify that block (definition) as the replacement.

Message 7 of 7
RockyBrown4134
in reply to: dmfrazier

@dmfrazier wrote:

"Nested blocks" are "blocks inside the drawing", so BLOCKREPLACE will work perfectly fine with those.

I tested a current drawing that was sent to me multiple times and could not get the nested blocks. to change. I saved the drawing to a new file and tested again after reading your post. I had no problems. Don't know what happend but something did.

Rocky Brown

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost