Community
AutoCAD Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reduced file size from 20 MB down to 1 MB using Wblock. How?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
applee
1312 Views, 5 Replies

Reduced file size from 20 MB down to 1 MB using Wblock. How?

I'm still quite new to Autocad (less than a months experience) so bear with me. I got three floor plans from someone about 15 MB a piece. In them were single blocks of the entire floor plan, with multiple blocks nested within. After adding my portion to it the files were around 20 MB. Since each file was now sluggish and slow, I researched and found Purge, Audit, etc..

Nothing seemed to change the file size by much except Wblock --> Entire Drawing. I can't quite wrap my head around what exactly this command does because it seems like everything is still in the file. Could someone shine some light as to how this could bring the file from 20 to 1 MB ?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Bob_Zurunkle
in reply to: applee

Not sure, other than that some unnecessary objects were left behind -- perhaps markers in a registry for items no longer in the file...

If by some odd chance my nattering was useful -- that's great, glad to help. But if it actually solved your issue, then please mark my solution as accepted 🙂
Message 3 of 6
rkmcswain

DWG files can also store non-graphical information, some useful and needed and some is pure bloat. There is no way for someone here to know what exactly was not carried over to the new drawing, unfortunately.
R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 4 of 6
drjohn

Did this file perhaps start life as a DGN (Microstation) file?  WBLOCK is the accepted way (other than a DGNFix that ADSK released) to rid DWGs of unwanted DGN linetypes.

Regards,

DJ

Message 5 of 6
dgorsman

In more generic terms: WBLOCK is used to create a DWG file to use as a block; typically this is a small collection of lines, arcs, attribute definitions, etc. to create a re-useable symbol.  Using WBLOCK on the entire drawing is a very old trick to create a new drawing file with only the content selected and without any hidden content or associated data.  It still works quite well with basic drawing entities but can cause problems when dealing with more intelligent objects which expect certain other data to be present.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 6 of 6
applee
in reply to: drjohn

@DrJohn wrote:

Did this file perhaps start life as a DGN (Microstation) file?  WBLOCK is the accepted way (other than a DGNFix that ADSK released) to rid DWGs of unwanted DGN linetypes.

Regards,

DJ

As I continue to look this up, I suspect this is what the problem was. I was looking for a DGN hotfix earlier but couldn't find any for 2010. But Wblock seemed to do the trick just fine. Thanks for all the responses guys.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost