Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Raster Images convert to objects?

23 REPLIES 23
Message 1 of 24
grandcanyonplanet
7886 Views, 23 Replies

Raster Images convert to objects?

In the old days (15years ago) we scanned a lot of files to DXB, and simply imported the image into the .DWG as small objects. (I believe they were treated as polyline segments).

Now, I am forced to Import a TIFF and "embed" the object (if I want it to be a permenant part of the drawing), and edit it with seperate programs like Raster Design.

QUESTION: does anyone know how to convert a "embedded raster image" into a DXB image?

The scanner used to do the work for me and save the image as DXB.

It was not a "vectorization progrqam", but the raster lines became small (not joined) polyline segments in the process.

I don't want to "vectorize" with a seperate program, because then it just "traces" with a zero-width polyline.

The old scanner used to save to DXB, now I don't even see that as an option.

Any words of wisdom about creating a "scan" that can become "objects" (even small dots) INSIDE the DWG file, instead of a "Raster Image" that has to be xref'ed or "embedded", and will not even plot to a DXB or HPGL format?

Thanks for ANY help!

23 REPLIES 23
Message 21 of 24

~Can you post a simple dxb file?  I want to experiment.~

Tbennet, I don't have any of the old DXB's, just the DWG's that were created from them.

How do I post a DWG here?

I looked at them closely, and they ARE polylines (with accurate widths) that were created in the DXB file directly from the scanner as the the scanned image, directly from the scanner's software and DXBIN into a DWG file. 

I'll see if I can do a "screen shot" of one of the areas that was only from the original scan. Let me dig through them and find a really good example.

Message 22 of 24

Upon looking closer at the drawing (and doing a list command) the entities are not polylines with width, they are "trace" elements. Does that sound familier to anyone?

The beauty of these is that the scanner created them in the DXB file, and they represented the original linework perfectly (including linewidth), and could be manipulated with normal commands as a TRUE part of the DWG file.

A perfect HYBRID file was created that was usable by anyone with autocad. No external software or aftermarket "plug-ins" were required.

Message 23 of 24

@grandcanyonplanet wrote:

...the entities are not polylines with width, they are "trace" elements. Does that sound familier to anyone?

Wow, that is old.... available in R1.4 or earlier

Link to the DXF reference for TRACE entities

The TRACE command was last 'officially' available in AutoCAD 2011, but of course you can still redefine it (at least in 2013) and create these objects.

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 24 of 24

I looked at the old scanned files and did a list on them, and they actually were DXBIN'd as autocad "trace" entities.

They were a perfect reproduction of the original scan linework (including linewidths), AND best of all the entities could be selected and rotated, moved, copied, or erased (even small areas) and new cadwork revisions made on those sections.

ALL in one DWG file that needed no external or "plug-in" software.

It was a beautiful thing, and I'd like to find a similar "conversion" solution for our current thousands of embedded TIFFs issue.

GOAL: One DWG file, all inclusive of the Hybrid information, and editable with normal autocad commands.

Maybe in Autocad 2016!? LOL!

Smiley Very Happy

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost