Active Contributor
TBOMS
Message 1 of 3 (1,574 Views)
Accepted Solution

"Unable To open this drawing. It contains incorrect or corrupted information"

1574 Views, 2 Replies
06-06-2012 11:23 AM

Hi

(Running AutoCAD 2010 on Win 7, Core i7, 8 GB RAM. All AutoCAD 2010 service packs are up-to-date)

I have a drawing file that keeps giving me this message when I try to open it :

"Unable to open this drawing.

It contains incorrect or or corrupted information.

The RECOVER command may be able to restore

undamaged material from this drawing."

When I recover the file I sometimes get a message that 1 error was fixed, sometimes no errors were detected. Either way, when I close it, and try re-opening (whether or not I SAVE it first), I get the same message. I have tried RECOVERALL, AUDIT, AECTOACAD (those AEC objects can be a problem) and tried changing the AutoCAD version it saves to (eg 2007). None of this works. I also discovered that if I WBLOCK the entire drawing it fixes it for ONE reopen, but becomes corrupted if I save it. This drawing is used as a 'template' (not a .dwt, just a "starting point") for other drawings, so the corruption is spreading..........

Any ideas? I am upgrading to a newr version of AutoCAD soon (hopefully that will fix it?), but this is really slowing down produciton in the meantime....

Cheers

TBOMS

Thanks, Alfred.

I'm afraid I reverted to my 'Caveman' cadding days; I just burst everything, exploded everything (multiple times), purged, and saw if it went away. It did :smileyhappy:

All I had to do then was re-build the drawing (while continually closing and re-opening), and that narrowed the problem down to a 'trouble' block, which I wiped from the face of the earth. 

Another day, another AutoCAD mystery solved

TBOMS

*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 2 of 3 (1,571 Views)

Re: "Unable To open this drawing. It contains incorrect or corrupted inform

06-06-2012 12:41 PM in reply to: TBOMS

Hi,

Have you tried to save the drawing to a different drive? So e.g. if you saved it to network then try to save it to your local drive or to an usb-device.

You should also check what antivirus-software (or defender, or antiXXX) you are running, maybe disabling them while testing.

One additional try: create a new drawing (real new from an AutoCAD template) and insert your "defect" drawing into it (explode it while inserting), then save this drawing as your new prepared base-drawing.

Good luck, - alfred -

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Active Contributor
TBOMS
Message 3 of 3 (1,560 Views)

Re: "Unable To open this drawing. It contains incorrect or corrupted inform

06-06-2012 02:30 PM in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Thanks, Alfred.

I'm afraid I reverted to my 'Caveman' cadding days; I just burst everything, exploded everything (multiple times), purged, and saw if it went away. It did :smileyhappy:

All I had to do then was re-build the drawing (while continually closing and re-opening), and that narrowed the problem down to a 'trouble' block, which I wiped from the face of the earth. 

Another day, another AutoCAD mystery solved

TBOMS

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.