PSLTSCALE - LTSCALE - MSLTSCALE

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
irishrandy26
14653 Views, 7 Replies

PSLTSCALE - LTSCALE - MSLTSCALE

I need help with scaling...

As of right now at my current firm we have to manually set the LTSCALE and PSLTSCALE to the correct variable if we have multiple scale type viewports. Is there any way for us to not have to do this? Or in other words is there a better way to go about making sure our linetypes and whatnot are always visible even if we have to make multiple scale viewports? in one drawing?

If I am not being clear enough please ask a question and I will do my best to answer them correctly.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
dgorsman
in reply to: irishrandy26

Use the rule of 1:

- MSLTSCALE = 1

- PSLTSCALE = 1

- entity LTSCALE = 1

- global LTSCALE = 1 (although, if you are using the imperial ACAD.LIN file in a metric drawing that might have to be 10)

Ensure all linetypes are consistently scaled.  If you load some from ACADISO.LIN and some from ACAD.LIN, since they use drastically different units there is no way to get everything working at the same scale.  If you have modified the LIN file or are using custom LIN files, ensure all linetypes are using consistent values.

Ensure you have consistent annotation scales assigned to the viewports ie. if the viewport is 1:50, the annotation scale of the viewport should also be 1:50.  The annotation scale should also take into account any units change from paper space to model space e.g. using meters in MS.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 3 of 8
irishrandy26
in reply to: dgorsman

So how do I decifer between global LTscale and entity LTScale? And when I set all of these scales to 1 and when I am in model space the lines look like they are solid until i zoom in really close.

Message 4 of 8
dgorsman

Global LTSCALE is the value controlled by the LTSCALE system variable.  It applies to all entities in the drawing.  Best used for global fixes, like the metric vs. imperial linetypes I mentioned.  Entity LTSCALE is the linetype scale setting for each entity.  The two values are independant of each other, so if you have a global LTSCALE of 10 and an entity with an LTSCALE of 0.1, its the same as if both were 1.0.  Entity LTSCALE is best used for short lines where the distance is too close for any dashes/dots/whatever to show up.

If the lines look solid you may be using the wrong LIN file for your units - thats up to you to determine.  To get a better view of linetypes in model space, set the current annotation scale to something useful e.g. if this is a schematic (typically not scaled) a 1:1 scale should show linetypes properly.  A large area plan at 1:5000 would likely use an annotation scale of 1:5000.  Note that annotation scale names are not necessarily the same as the scale values - Fred, Wilma, and Barney could all be 1:5000.

Message 5 of 8
irishrandy26
in reply to: dgorsman

So I set my LTSCALE to 10 and now it shows up ok in model space but it is way too far spaced for paper space. or in other words it looks almost solid in model and is overly dramatic in paper.

Message 6 of 8
irishrandy26

I also use a dim scale. does that have anythign to do with it?

Message 7 of 8
dgorsman

No, DIMSCALE affects dimensions.

Have a look back at my earlier post.  Viewports have both a scale and an annotation scale associated with them.  You can assign a scale of 1:50 and an annotation scale of 1:1, or 1:5000, or any other scale.  Check both the scale of the viewport and the annotation scale assigned to it.  Might want to double check the annotation scale settings as well.

Message 8 of 8
Bob_Zurunkle

OP as a further clarification, when you are in modelspace is the CANNOSCALE at 1:1? That's what he is telling you regarding annotation scales in viewports.

For example, if you know your model will be viewed in a 1/4"=1'-0" viewport, set your CANNOSCALE in modelspace to that ét voila! Now you should be able to see your linetypes as other than solid.

If by some odd chance my nattering was useful -- that's great, glad to help. But if it actually solved your issue, then please mark my solution as accepted 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost