AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

Distinguished Contributor
dbd63
Message 1 of 4 (963 Views)

Proper Scale Settings when Xref-ing Civil Site Plan into Architectural Drawing

963 Views, 3 Replies
03-15-2012 07:11 AM

Can anyone provide a simple list of the proper scale settings to be set in the host and the incoming drawing when the host drawing is drawn by an architect using 1= 1 inch, and the incoming Xref is drawn by a civil engineer using 1= 1 foot?  In each drawing, what are the proper values for:

DDUNITS

-DWGUNITS

INSUNITS

INSUNITSDEFSOURCE

INSUNITSDEFTARGET

I realize that there are numerous threads covering these settings, but I cannot find a thread that simplifies the issue and deals specifically with civil-to-architectural scale settings.

Also, the -DWGUNITS command asks some questions beyond what Drawing Units are desired:

Scale objects from other drawings upon insert? [Yes/No]

Match INSUNITS to drawing units? [Yes/No]

Scale objects in current drawing to reflect change in units? [Yes/No]

What are the correct answers to these questions when Xref-ing a civil engineer's dwg into an architectural dwg?

Valued Contributor
bluefox
Message 2 of 4 (938 Views)

Re: Proper Scale Settings when Xref-ing Civil Site Plan into Architectural Drawi

03-15-2012 01:43 PM in reply to: dbd63

Can't you just scale the civil xref up by a factor of 12? I never messed with any of those settings.

dbd63
Message 3 of 4 (923 Views)

Re: Proper Scale Settings when Xref-ing Civil Site Plan into Architectural Drawi

03-16-2012 10:38 AM in reply to: bluefox

Sure, but when drawings go back and forth between architects and civil engineers, each discipline gets annoyed at finding that things have been scaled to the other's way of working.  Our civil engineers find it unprofessional and irritating.

rhdins
Message 4 of 4 (903 Views)

03-19-2012 01:06 PM in reply to: dbd63

The way I've worked around this is to reference in the architects drawing in my site base drawing.  I then scale rotate and place the arch drawing in the correct spot on my civil drawing.  Then when we get an updated arch drawing, we can just save over the existing arch drawing and since we are using our civil site base, we don't need to re-insert or re-scale anything.

This is what I've don't, at least until architects start using engineering units and putting things in the real location in the world :smileyhappy:

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.