Did you mean: 

Problem with paste from clipboard to some drawings

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
therock18
6779 Views, 7 Replies

Problem with paste from clipboard to some drawings

Hello,

recently I started using AutoCAD 2012 and I ran into one problem which I didn't encounter before.

The problem is that when I try to paste objects from another drawing (through clipboard - usually another instance of AutoCAD) I can't paste them in some drawings only.

The following things happen:
-Autocad behaves normally like when I usually paste objects except there is nothing inserted.
-When I save the drawing after unsuccesful insert, even if I canceled inserting, drawing size increases dramatically (for about 2-4MB).
-If I open new drawing, I can insert objects there.
-Also when I copy to clipboard, autocad takes a lot of time even if it is only few lines.

I tryed these thing to fix issue:
-I checked if there are any layers turned off.
-I tryed to copy with COPYBASE
-I restarted autocad (sometimes it helps but only for some moments or for one insert).
-I did PURGE and AUDIT
-I tried to copy paste in same instance of AutoCAD but that didn't help.

Oh and I'm usualy using t least 2 instances of AutoCAD (I hope that is not the problem).

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
pendean
in reply to: therock18

"...usually another instance of AutoCAD..."
Any reason you cannot open both drawings in one session of AutoCAD? just curious. AFAIK that just adds more problems that it cures, and fails if these are two different versions of AutoCAD.
Are you sure thawing/turning on all layers/zooming out plus a REGENALL not the solution?
Message 3 of 8
therock18
in reply to: pendean

I'm using two instances of AutoCAD because I have two monitors and I work in both simultaneously.
BTW I was using AutoCAD 2011 and 2010 the same way and I didn't have any such problems.
Thawing/turning, zooming and regening don't fix the problem.

Message 4 of 8
pendean

Spanning the program window across both screens and running two file windows size by side seems to work for many users.

I have 2012 here, two sessions open, same profile being used, I can copy/paste between them with two separate files with objects on the same layers in both files with no issues. But both files are created in plain AutoCAD with no AEC content or any other foreign items that may hang the process. As a test I opened additional sessions and other files and can repeat the copy/paste with no issues.

You state "nothing pastes": are you sure the items are present in the Windows Clipboard? perhaps they did not 'copy' first?

Can you copy/paste the same objects if the two files are open in one session of autocad?
Message 5 of 8
therock18
in reply to: pendean

It depends, I can copy items to some drawings but not to others regardless of the session. It's more like AutoCAD suddenly decides to stop me from inserting objects on some drawings from some point on.

The objects are definetly in clipboard because if I open new drawing I can paste them there.

Maybe the problem is with AEC or something because the drawing is pretty complex and many users worked on it but still I was working on the same drawing with AutoCAD 2011 version and I didn't have such problems.

Currently my solution is that I copy the drawing to new drawing, save it and then insert whatever I want to insert. The problem is that I must do (repeat) this for every inserting process. Strange is that purge, audit and saving drawing under other name doesn't work (I still can't insert), I must copy it.

Message 6 of 8
KLYPHY

Here is one more thing to check.  When copying with a base point from one drawing to another, I find it best to have both UCS set to World.

Message 7 of 8
jggerth1

Well, when you run into issues, just usese the old 'WBlock and Insert' workflow instead of copying and pasting.

Message 8 of 8
therock18
in reply to: jggerth1

I tried this, but it also doesn't work. After I reset autocad I can do only one insert with either copy-paste or wblock and that is it, after that I can't insert anything anymore.
I don't know, it seems there is some sort of problem with combination of some corrupt drawings and version of AutoCAD (with the same drawings I didn't had this problem with 2011 version or earlier).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost