AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

everton_efp
Message 1 of 7 (1,557 Views)
Accepted Solution

Problem with dimension linear distance from draw

1557 Views, 6 Replies
03-21-2012 08:37 PM

Hi all,

I all ready tried google, and I have made a great effort to find an answer, but I've failed. So any help is wellcome.

I'm using AUTOCAD 2011 x64 (E.208.0.0)

I get the dimension linear tool;

I specify the first extension line origin clicking somewhere;

I specify the second extension line origin clicking somewhere; (ortho mode on)

Then I pull the mouse pointer to the direction I want the dimension go and I type 1, because I want the dimension liedown at a distance of 1 unit from the draw (a wall for example).

Now de problem:

If I check the distance from the draw to the dimension line (not to the text) using de "Inquiry > Distance" tool I do not have that 1 unit I have typed, instead it retrieve a value like 0.9822, and this value varies on a random way, everytime its different. (take a look at the jpg attached below)

It happens with the other dimension tools too.

T.I.A. 

EverTon

Jamal has this same question in the 2012 section right now.

I don't understand where either of you got the idea that typing a number in at this point of the dimension dialog was a valid option.  Autocad is looking for you to either click a point on the screen where you want to place the dimension line, or tell it how you want to orient the text.  The fact that you get "close" to "1" or whatever number you type in here is a gift from the Autodesk programmers.  By rights you should get a message saying "invalid input".

It would be nice if this were an option... but I've never seen it documented.

Dave.

Thanks again Dave,

I have to admit, you are all right. It never occurred to me.

However, you may want to join me on this:

1- when I draw any sort of line I click, I get a diretion and I type a number, and it works;

2- when I move anything, I click, I get a diretion and I type a number, and it works;

3- (this is a good point) when I have a dimension applied and I wanna reposition it, I click, I get a diretion and I type a number, and guess: it works!!!  

You understand now? I and my web-fellow Jamal got the idea from this pattern present on AutoCAD behavior and because it is very very intuitive too. More than that, the dimension allready works by these way, unfortunatly, just for a repositioning. When I get "close" to "1" or whatever number I type seems to me more like a BUG (or to say the minimum: a lack of tests) than a gift from the Autodesk programmers. 

After all, I want to say thank you Dave, for your time and patience.

And this is for the AutoCAD programmers (Dave, no offence, I'm thinking you're not one of them): 

I was a developer too til a couple of years ago, so I am taking the freedon to call you FELLOWS, please do not read my opinion as an attack, in fact, I really appreciate your masterpiece, and it is the right adjective for AutoCAD, as a developer I admire AutoCAD as a masterpiece, with all that almost infinity set of functions you hit the bull's eye most of the time. And here between us, fellows, we know how big corporations sometimes guides great softwares to wrong ways, and left behind important revisions/updates for a distant future. Please accept my compliments.

My very thanks for you all.

EverTon

Actually, AutoCAD is drawing the dimension line exactly "1 unit" away, but it's along a path between the 2nd dimension point and the crosshairs.  After picking your 2nd dimension point, pause momentarily and AutoCAD will set a AutoTrack marker.  Now when you pull away, tracking vectors will appear according to your tracking preferences and you'll get the desired result.

*Expert Elite*
heinsite
Message 2 of 7 (1,523 Views)

Re: Problem with dimension linear distance from draw

03-22-2012 07:19 AM in reply to: everton_efp

Jamal has this same question in the 2012 section right now.

I don't understand where either of you got the idea that typing a number in at this point of the dimension dialog was a valid option.  Autocad is looking for you to either click a point on the screen where you want to place the dimension line, or tell it how you want to orient the text.  The fact that you get "close" to "1" or whatever number you type in here is a gift from the Autodesk programmers.  By rights you should get a message saying "invalid input".

It would be nice if this were an option... but I've never seen it documented.

Dave.

------------------------------------------------------
Dave Hein, P.E.
everton_efp
Message 3 of 7 (1,507 Views)

03-22-2012 04:28 PM in reply to: heinsite

Thanks again Dave,

I have to admit, you are all right. It never occurred to me.

However, you may want to join me on this:

1- when I draw any sort of line I click, I get a diretion and I type a number, and it works;

2- when I move anything, I click, I get a diretion and I type a number, and it works;

3- (this is a good point) when I have a dimension applied and I wanna reposition it, I click, I get a diretion and I type a number, and guess: it works!!!  

You understand now? I and my web-fellow Jamal got the idea from this pattern present on AutoCAD behavior and because it is very very intuitive too. More than that, the dimension allready works by these way, unfortunatly, just for a repositioning. When I get "close" to "1" or whatever number I type seems to me more like a BUG (or to say the minimum: a lack of tests) than a gift from the Autodesk programmers. 

After all, I want to say thank you Dave, for your time and patience.

And this is for the AutoCAD programmers (Dave, no offence, I'm thinking you're not one of them): 

I was a developer too til a couple of years ago, so I am taking the freedon to call you FELLOWS, please do not read my opinion as an attack, in fact, I really appreciate your masterpiece, and it is the right adjective for AutoCAD, as a developer I admire AutoCAD as a masterpiece, with all that almost infinity set of functions you hit the bull's eye most of the time. And here between us, fellows, we know how big corporations sometimes guides great softwares to wrong ways, and left behind important revisions/updates for a distant future. Please accept my compliments.

My very thanks for you all.

EverTon

*Expert Elite*
heinsite
Message 4 of 7 (1,494 Views)

03-22-2012 09:51 PM in reply to: everton_efp

Everton,

No, I'm not an Autodesk programmer.   I'm just a user.  :smileyvery-happy:

Most of the time I need to choose where my dimension line goes with respect to the object being measured.  So this idea wouldn't be very useful for the kind of work I do.  What *is* very useful to me is a somewhat related command, DIMSPACE.  That takes care of standardizing the spacings of all the parallel dimensions "above" the base dimension.  That command allows me to put things on the drawing in a hurry and make them neat later.  It doesn't change the first one... that one I need to place in a way that makes sense for the drawing.

Dave.

Dave Hein, P.E.
*Pro
nestly
Message 5 of 7 (1,490 Views)

03-23-2012 02:10 AM in reply to: everton_efp

Actually, AutoCAD is drawing the dimension line exactly "1 unit" away, but it's along a path between the 2nd dimension point and the crosshairs.  After picking your 2nd dimension point, pause momentarily and AutoCAD will set a AutoTrack marker.  Now when you pull away, tracking vectors will appear according to your tracking preferences and you'll get the desired result.

everton_efp
Message 6 of 7 (1,483 Views)

03-23-2012 02:32 PM in reply to: everton_efp

Hi nestly,

GREAT GENIUS!!! BRILLIANT!!!

That is what I was looking for. You are very observer,  I'm amazed.

Thank you very much.

EverTon

*Expert Elite*
heinsite
Message 7 of 7 (1,472 Views)

03-23-2012 03:44 PM in reply to: everton_efp

Yup... I learned something new out of this too!

Thanks, nestly!

Dave.

Dave Hein, P.E.
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Are You Going To Be @ AU 2014? Feel free to drop by our AU topic post and share your plans, plug a class that you're teaching, or simply check out who else from the community might be in attendance. Ohh and don't forgot to stop by the Autodesk Help | Learn | Collaborate booths in the Exhibit Hall and meet our community team if you get a chance!