AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

Contributor
mattholmes6282
Message 1 of 6 (1,908 Views)
Accepted Solution

Paste Special - Paste Link - Excel on DWG shows wrong data on XP workstations

1908 Views, 5 Replies
09-18-2012 11:56 AM

I have an issue between XP 32 bit ACAD 2011 workstations and Windows 7 64 bit ACAD 2011 workstations...

1 - A Windows 7 user does a Paste Special>Paste Link>Microsoft Excel to insert\embed a portion of an Excel worksheet into the DWG.

2 - various win7 and XP users make changes to the Excel worksheet directly in Excel

3 - Win7 users open the DWG to see the correct and updated Excel data in the DWG

4 - XP users open the same DWG to see OLD data from a previous save and not the correct updated data on the linked worksheet

5 - XP users directly open the Excel file in Excel and are able to view the correct updated data BUT NOT IN THE DWG

6 - XP users see old incorrect excel worksheet data in the DWG. Win7 users see the correct data in the DWG.

ANY IDEAS?

thank you in advance!!!!

Matt,

i encountered the same issue in my office, but slightly different. When i would create and excel spreadsheet on my windows 7 64-bit machine, other users on windows xp 32-bit would see my updated information, no problem. But for whatever reason as soon as they updated the excel file, their cad file would update and mine would not.

my issue/solution to the problem was the file type. when ever the excel file was saved as a ".xlsx" or a ."xlsm", my autocad (64-bit windows 7) would lose the OLE link and not updated. but when the excel would be saved down to a Excel 97-2003 ".xls" and linked in, the issue would be resolved for some reason.

hope this helps...

Contributor
mattholmes6282
Message 2 of 6 (1,901 Views)

Re: Paste Special - Paste Link - Excel on DWG shows wrong data on XP workstation

09-18-2012 01:30 PM in reply to: mattholmes6282

I have discovered the OLELINKS command per another discussion group post.

OLELINKS is not working between various users among the same file...

if a XP user creates the Excel "paste special" sheet in a DWG, then the Windows 7 user cannot update the spreadsheet in ACAD and vice versa. If a Windows 7 user creates the link, then XP users cannot update the spreadsheet without breaking and creating a new link again.

OLELINKS then UPDATE NOW only works via the same operating system that created the link.

Help!

Contributor
mattholmes6282
Message 3 of 6 (1,856 Views)

Re: Paste Special - Paste Link - Excel on DWG shows wrong data on XP workstation

09-21-2012 01:06 PM in reply to: mattholmes6282

Based on the overwhelming response... I must be the only person on Earth with this issue. That's hard to believe.

Three day old post... no reponses

I opened a support request with Autodesk three days ago for the same issue... no response from Autodesk

Outstanding.

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 4 of 6 (1,853 Views)

09-21-2012 02:14 PM in reply to: mattholmes6282

You appear to be describing an OLE/Excel/XP issue, all Microsoft craeted: AutoCAD just happens to be the only other software around.

54 Users looked at your post and moved on, so it at least seems to be a plausible assumption if you can't share XLS and DWG samples for everyone here to test and confirm.

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
Revit_is_Useless
Message 5 of 6 (1,737 Views)

10-23-2012 12:17 PM in reply to: mattholmes6282

Matt,

i encountered the same issue in my office, but slightly different. When i would create and excel spreadsheet on my windows 7 64-bit machine, other users on windows xp 32-bit would see my updated information, no problem. But for whatever reason as soon as they updated the excel file, their cad file would update and mine would not.

my issue/solution to the problem was the file type. when ever the excel file was saved as a ".xlsx" or a ."xlsm", my autocad (64-bit windows 7) would lose the OLE link and not updated. but when the excel would be saved down to a Excel 97-2003 ".xls" and linked in, the issue would be resolved for some reason.

hope this helps...

Contributor
mattholmes6282
Message 6 of 6 (1,729 Views)

10-23-2012 12:48 PM in reply to: Revit_is_Useless

I don't know your name but thank you, thank you, thank you very much!

Saving the Excel file back to the OLD OLD 2003 xls file format re-established compatibility for the OLE links between XP and Windows 7.

I admit ignorance prevented me from saving the Excel files in the OLD .xls format and testing this out. Lord knows I tried everything else.

It seems Autodesk should have evolved with the times and moved ahead with compatibility between Excel file formats - xls versus xlsx

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.