AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

Active Contributor
laneclare
Message 1 of 6 (737 Views)

Palette groups

737 Views, 5 Replies
05-09-2012 09:18 AM

I have a handful of palettes that are divided into groups.  I need to share these with other people.

At first, I exported the main palette group, with its subgroups, into an xpg file.  Of course, I didn't yet know that it didn't retain the palettes at that time.

Then I exported the palettes themselves (maybe 20 in all). 

My understanding is that if I import the palettes manually, then import the palette group, the palette group will be populated automatically.  That isn't happening.

What is happening: The palette groups are there, and the palettes are there (in the palette list, and they automatically added themselves into the (old) current palette group.  If I set the current group as the imported palette group, it adds the imported palettes to that group, but not into the sub groups. 

With all of that said, is there a way to import multiple palettes at one time, via lisp or something else that I don't know about.  Is there a way to have those palettes appear in their appropriate places on the palette group?

From what I've read about the problem, the palette group is stored in a customization file, and that's why it isn't transferring the palettes into the group.  I'm not sure if this is true, or if I misread something, hence my questions to the group. 

Any help is much appreciated.

For full disclosure, I have this posted at CadTutor: http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?69218-Exporting-and-Importing-Tool-Palette-Groups&refer...

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 2 of 6 (716 Views)

Re: Palette groups

05-10-2012 08:58 AM in reply to: laneclare

AFAIK Groups are imported first then the individual palettes.

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
Active Contributor
laneclare
Message 3 of 6 (714 Views)

05-10-2012 09:08 AM in reply to: pendean

I'm sorry... I don't understand what that means.  Any way to dumb it down?

Contributor
brentcole88
Message 4 of 6 (652 Views)

10-17-2012 04:13 PM in reply to: laneclare

I am battling a similar problem.  This is what I have been doing. Right, wrong or indeferrent. 

I start a vanilla version of Autocad.  I locate my tool palette folder in my user directory.  C:\Users\USER.NAME\AppData\Roaming\Autodesk\AutoCAD Mechanical 2012\R18.2\enu\Support\ToolPalette\

I wipe all these files out.  I then use Design Center to create tool palettes of folders I have on the network.  I then organize these palettes with group names. Example: Client-->P&ID, Elec, Inst, Piping, etc.  I then use "Export All" to back up these group names and build profiles or add to profiles later.  I exit Autocad to make sure all palettes and changes are written to hard drive.  I then go to the tool palette user directory (C:\Users\USER.NAME\AppData\Roaming\Autodesk\AutoCAD Mechanical 2012\R18.2\enu\Support\ToolPalette\) and move all files to the netowrk under a "AUTOCAD\TOOL_PALETTES\CLIENTNAME\ folder.  I then creat profiles with my "Options-->Tool Palettes File Locations" pointed to the above tool palette network folder  "\Palettes".  I then export profile name.  Then we start getting our IT guy involved.  Your grouped palette names and organization will still reside on your hardrive under your user directory  "%USERPROFILE%\appdata\roaming\autodesk\autocad mechanical 2012\r18.2\enu\support\profiles\".  Under these folders is an AWS file that stores the group names.  You will need to copy all of these folders and files below the last folder to a network directory.  You then need to REGEDIT your Autocad profile and changes all occurences of these profile paths only to point to the network directtory instead.  Gets tricky.  Then you need to do some programing and copy some of your registery profile date and launch it to other users.

I do not know if this is the best right or easiest way but it works for us.

I commented some more in here before I saw this thread:  

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Architecture/Where-would-I-find-Tool-Palette-Group-info-stored...

*Expert Elite*
heinsite
Message 5 of 6 (607 Views)

10-22-2012 10:12 PM in reply to: laneclare

It's all pretty simple really:

Right click the grey Tool Palettes - All Palettes bar and select Customize Palettes

In Palette Groups select the group you want to share, then right click and select Export.  Do this for all the groups you want to share.

In the left side of the Customize dialog do the same thing for the Palettes that will be in the groups you just exported.  Select them, right click, and Export.

Send these files to those you want to have them.

They need to do the same thing(s) in reverse:

Right click on the Tool Palettes - All Palettes grey bar and select Customize palettes.

I would advise importing the palettes first.  Right click anywhere in the white area of the palettes side of the dialog and select Import.  Import the palettes in turn.

Then right click anywhere in the Palette Groups and do the same Import procedure for the groups. 

That should do it!

Dave.

------------------------------------------------------
Dave Hein, P.E.
Contributor
brentcole88
Message 6 of 6 (591 Views)

10-23-2012 05:32 AM in reply to: laneclare

Yea that's all fine and dandy, but I am not going to sitting down on 42 workstations and manually importing palettes.  The registery export & import has worked great.  Only thing we've had to do different is the 32 bit workstations.  All profiles and palettes created on a 64 bit workstation will not import via the registery onto a 32 bit workstation.  There are slight differences in the user paths between the two.  I conglomerated a couple lisps I found to import all these into 32 bit workstations. I used this guys stuff first:

;;; profiles.lsp
;;; miscellaneous profile commands
;;; By Jimmy Bergmark
;;; Copyright (C) 1997-2008 JTB World, All Rights Reserved
;;; Website: www.jtbworld.com
;;; E-mail: info@jtbworld.com
;;;  2000-01-25
;;;  2003-01-23 Added functions
;;;  2008-08-08 Added forceImport

; Delete all profiles except the current profile
(defun deleteAllProfilesExceptCurrent (/ item)
  (foreach item (getAllProfileNames)
    (vl-catch-all-apply
      'vla-deleteprofile
      (list (vla-get-profiles
       (vla-get-preferences (vlax-get-acad-object))
     )
     item
      )
    )
  )
)

; (importProfile "profilename" "C:\\TEMP\\profilename.arg" 1)
; overwrites profilename if it exists
; if path is omitted profile is imported from active directory
; inclpathinfo=1   The path information in the registry file will be preserved.
; inclpathinfo=0   The path information in the registry file will not be preserved.
; return T if profile is imported
(defun importProfile (profilename argname inclpathinfo)
  (not (vl-catch-all-apply 'vla-importprofile (list
    (vla-get-profiles (vla-get-preferences (vlax-get-acad-object)))
    profilename
    argname
    inclpathinfo
  ))
  )
)

Then I did this:

(deleteAllProfilesExceptCurrent)

(defun c:massimportprof ()
(princ "\nImporting Profiles... ")
(load "L:/Levingston/Lisp/ProfileLisps/massprofiletools.lsp")
(importprofile "CADWorx_CalcRef" "l:\\autocad\\2012\\profiles\\CADWorx_CalcRef.arg" 1)
(importprofile "CADWorx_Citgo" "l:\\autocad\\2012\\profiles\\CADWorx_Citgo.arg" 1)
(importprofile "CADWorx_Grace" "l:\\autocad\\2012\\profiles\\CADWorx_Grace.arg" 1)
)
(princ "done.")
(princ)

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Are You Going To Be @ AU 2014? Feel free to drop by our AU topic post and share your plans, plug a class that you're teaching, or simply check out who else from the community might be in attendance. Ohh and don't forgot to stop by the Autodesk Help | Learn | Collaborate booths in the Exhibit Hall and meet our community team if you get a chance!