AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

DjOng
Message 1 of 4 (413 Views)

Out of memory

413 Views, 3 Replies
10-01-2011 12:03 AM

Good day Everyone,

We're currently experiencing a problem with our 2011 autocad standard installations:

When our users are opening a file that of 1.5gb in size they are prompted that the workstation is out of memory.

Most of our workstations that are encountering such problems were configured to run windows 7 32bit and some are in 64bit all having 4gb of ram.

What do you suggest as a solution to this?

Thank you

*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 2 of 4 (404 Views)

Betreff: Out of memory

10-01-2011 12:47 AM in reply to: DjOng

Hi,

sorry, I could not imagine that you ever had opened a 1.5GB DWG-file in AutoCAD when you just have a 4GB workstation.

I'm wondering that such a file could be created anyway (with AutoCAD).

- alfred -

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at
DjOng
Message 3 of 4 (401 Views)

10-01-2011 01:21 AM in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi Mr. Alfred,

What was the biggest filesize that you encountered? Have you encountered a similar error? and what was your fix / solution if you found one?

Thanks

*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 4 of 4 (392 Views)

10-01-2011 02:01 AM in reply to: DjOng

Hi,

>> What was the biggest filesize that you encountered?

The filesizes differ extremly by how structured the drawing is created. I can create a DWG that has 100kB and AutoCAD needs 1GB memory to open that file (and following to that I can also create a file with 100kB that needs 4GB memory :smileywink: ).

Average values of DWG-files that can be opened - and just more important - that can be handled within AutoCAD will go up to 100-200Mb. But once more: it depends highly on how structured the drawing is!

>> Have you encountered a similar error?

Yes, every time I don't have enough memory. When working with 32bit-OS you have a limit by 2GB (for one AutoCAD-session) that can be used (a small option is to use the 3GB-switch to raise the limit). So every command where AutoCAD thinks it has to allocate more memory as is currently free, AutoCAD gives you this message.

>> and what was your fix / solution if you found one?

...for 1.5GB? I don't think there is a solution possible. But what is sure you need a 64bit-OS and I'm also sure you will need more than 4GB memory.

For me (sorry for the words) generally it does not make any sense to upgrade to a 64bit-OS but stay at 4GB memory.

Good luck, - alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.