AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

marc1marc
Message 11 of 17 (3,655 Views)

Re: Opinions on the "best" laptop for AutoCAD 2011?

12-14-2011 07:17 PM in reply to: gregphil

i currently have Dell M6500 I7-9 and was wondering if there was anything smaller and lighter and with longer battery life that can support or handle AutoCad program?

marc1marc
Message 12 of 17 (3,653 Views)

12-14-2011 08:45 PM in reply to: DavidJFuller

dude M6500 is the best and still is but I am looking for some the same but lighter and longer battery time any ideas let me know.

tommcq
Message 13 of 17 (2,474 Views)

02-26-2012 12:19 PM in reply to: murray-clack

M/C,

Please elaborate on the reasons you don't like Toshiba.

*Pro
murray-clack
Message 14 of 17 (2,445 Views)

02-27-2012 08:57 AM in reply to: tommcq

Every Toshiba that I have seen (either what I, or others, have owned) have had their hard-drives fail miserably.  That's not an exaggeration.  Whenever I hear someone say "Crud, my laptop that I bought just a few months ago is FRIED." and when I reply "Toshiba, right?", they always say "Yeah.. How did you KNOW?"

And not just a particular model or operating system either.  I've seen them die from XP to Win7, from 32 to 64 bit, from little RAM to lots of RAM

***POOF*** DEAD!

My daughter in Jr High is part of a pilot program where EVERY kid in school got a Toshiba notebook in order to help with their schoolwork. So, as a matter of caution, I've been keeping up on the maintenance and backups of her homework KNOWING the darn thing is going to fail on her.  So far, dozens of kids have had theirs die on them.

tommcq
Message 15 of 17 (2,441 Views)

02-27-2012 10:03 AM in reply to: marc1marc

M/C,

Thanks for the information.

I was looking at laptops for AutoCAD so it was great to hear your opinion.

gvlahos
Message 16 of 17 (1,823 Views)

04-21-2012 10:33 AM in reply to: marc1marc

I, myself, swear by Toshiba laptops.  I've had 5 since 1998, four of which are still in my possession (working just great) and one is now proudly owned by a friend's daughter.  Never a problem with them - however - I make it a habit to treat them nicely.  I don't use them in lieu of a football, hammer, anvil, "frustration-relief-device," or other.

Obviously, you're not very computer-savvy.  Toshiba does not manufacture hard drives; they are usually sourced from companies such as WD, Maxtor, Seagate, etc.  Here again, I hardly believe said companies recommend physical abuse as a approved method of care.

As an Engineer, I sadly see people treat laptops as indestructable machines: falling off of tables at Starbucks, tossed in trunks from distances of greater than five feet, subjected to extreme temperature variations (two hour trunk ride in subzero weather, then fired up immediately in an eighty degree office), fluids introduced from carelessly placing beverages RIGHT NEXT TO THEM and - like an easily distracted imbecile - knocking aforementioned on the keyboard, etc.

Now you're talking KIDS?  They don't respect ANYTHING given to them!  Kids think that if it's free, there's always more from where that came.

~~~

The most important thing I've encountered with AutoCAD (or, for that matter, Visio, VidCAD, Sketchup, VectorWORKS, etc) is the Graphics Card.  Yeah, a decent/recent processor, 2 GB of memory (minimum), appropriate amount of storage is vital - but the Graphics Card is the key.  Do your research there.  Shared Graphics Memory totally sucks with these kinds of programs.  I shouldn't need to stress the importance of an EXCELLENT external (second) monitor for this, too...

Greg, current Toshiba Tecra user

janetkissho
Message 17 of 17 (146 Views)

11-26-2013 09:21 AM in reply to: gregphil

apple mac book is good no doubt, but listen the company does not matters, what matters is the specification. The hard drive and ram should be good enough that it can run any heavy software on it for more advice look up cad

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.