Did you mean: 

Opening new Drawings

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
adamjennings
316 Views, 8 Replies

Opening new Drawings

Hi,

can you let me know how i can alter my opening options so that if i already have a drawing open, and i open another - it opens within the same window on a seperate tab, instead of seperately 

Thank you,

Adam

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
pendean
in reply to: adamjennings

Do you need to reset SDI variable?
Message 3 of 9
MarySeufert

Also check out the TASKBAR system variable. When set to 1 it will appear as if there are multiple sessions of AutoCAD running on the Windows taskbar.

EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Message 4 of 9
adamjennings
in reply to: MarySeufert

First of all, thank you for allowing me to change the Taskbar - that really helps!

Although, please see attached image of what actually happens, as you can see there are multiple files opened within one window of CAD already but when I click directly on another DWG file it opens up another CAD application instead of just opening another tab along with the ones currently open!

Example.png

Message 5 of 9
doni49

I see by your screenshot that you're using 2015.  I'd have to guess this is specific to that version as I can't reproduce it in 2012.  You'd be more likely to get a better reply in the forum created specifically for versions 2013 - 2015.  I say this because there's a larger concentration of users over there that actually have your version of the software.

Most of the poeple here are using 2010 - 2012.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-2013-2014-2015/bd-p/706

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 6 of 9
MarySeufert
in reply to: doni49

And from the looks of the taskbar, installed on Vista! Which may be an issue for you, since it is no longer a supported OS.

One of the oddest behaviors that the drawing launcher out of windows explorer can be this new session behavior. Say you open one session, have drawings open and your working in them. Open up a new session of the same flavor of ACAD, then close it. Keep on working in your original session, the next time you double pick a drawing from explorer it will open up a new session! Frustrating, but I've never seen a solution.

Personally, I always use the open command within my session of AutoCAD because I work in multiple flavors of CAD, often at the same time. Smiley Wink

EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Message 7 of 9
doni49
in reply to: MarySeufert

@MarySeufert wrote:

And from the looks of the taskbar, installed on Vista! Which may be an issue for you, since it is no longer a supported OS.

Nice catch Mary!  I hadn't even noticed Vista.  I saw the circular Start Menu and assumed W7.

@MarySeufert wrote:

Personally, I always use the open command within my session of AutoCAD because I work in multiple flavors of CAD, often at the same time. Smiley Wink

Same here.

Don Ireland

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 8 of 9
adamjennings
in reply to: doni49

I'm on Windows 7 Professional 😄

sorry for posting here also, I upgraded from 2012 so i just posted in the same place 😄

I shall just Drag the file onto another tba in the existing cad launcher, this seems to rectify the problem! 

Cheers,

Adam

Message 9 of 9
doni49

adamjennings wrote:

sorry for posting here also, I upgraded from 2012 so i just posted in the same place

There is no apology needed.  The only reason for suggesting that you post on the other board is that you'd have more chance of having it read by people who use it.

There undoubtedly are some people who don't use 2012 (or older) versions any more so they probably don't frequent this board.

Don Ireland

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost