AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

juckto
Message 1 of 3 (833 Views)

Opening a .dwt file from Windows creates two drawings

833 Views, 2 Replies
11-15-2010 01:37 PM

I created a template file based on my company's drawings, and then created a shortcut on my desktop to this template file. (The idea being that I double-click this shortcut to open AutoCAD and I immediately have a standard drawing, instead of opening AutoCAD then clicking File->New->Select Template.)

Worked fine, except today when I used the shortcut it opened two new drawings. I guess it's not really a problem, but it is extra clutter on my screen for no good reason.

I've tried creating a new template and using that instead, but the same thing happens.

Valued Mentor
parkr4st
Message 2 of 3 (828 Views)

Re: Opening a .dwt file from Windows creates two drawings

11-15-2010 02:06 PM in reply to: juckto

One way around it.    In options  you can set to open a new dwg with that template.   simple control+n will open the template one at a time  OPTIONS     files tab      in the list  @ Template settings  select  Default template file name for QNEW     Highlight it and browse button to the file template you want

dave

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 3 of 3 (774 Views)

Re: Opening a .dwt file from Windows creates two drawings

11-16-2010 05:20 AM in reply to: parkr4st

And yet another option: STARTUP variable, set it to one, and never go into AutoCAD first then have to hunt and peck to start open and search for files.

Take advantage of the left sidebar too.

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.