AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

shawn_c_93
Message 1 of 2 (1,321 Views)

Open GL on my Graphics card? Will what I have work with Acad?

1321 Views, 1 Replies
07-24-2012 06:06 AM

My computer is a HP Pavilion dv7t-7000,

with windows 7 with intel core i73612QM

NVIDIA GeForce GT 630m graphics with 1GB of dedicated memory

8GB DDR3 System memory (2 Dimm) {ps If anyone knows what this means feel free to include an explanation. Im clueless. Wats a DDR3 for?}

1.5 TB 5400 rpm dual hardrive

NO mSSD hard drive accelerator cache(is this a bad thing? should i have one?)

Intel  802.11b/g/n WLAN and Bluetooth

.... I sent my computer in to get fixed and cleaned and stuff and it had gotten broken in transit:smileysad: So they are saying they'll send me a replacement computer, and the above listed stats are what they gave me. To me only small portions of what they said make sense(im not as computer savy as i should be i guess) So since i'm currently going to school for a drafting degree, I use both your general ACAD and Inventor. I tried to study up on stuff concerning my graphics card and thats when i figured out that a normal gaming card can work fine with inventor since they switched to Direct X. But I couldnt figure out if ACAD had switched too?  So I'm not sure if the GeForce 630m in Open GL compatible, and when I googled it I didnt come up with anything reasuring.

At this point I can still have them change the card, but I have a feeling they'll have a limit to how kind they'll be in upgrading my card. lol. I've heard alot of people say the quadro is....appropriate for cad.

My previous computers card was a radeon 6770

Please Help???!!

Active Contributor
S.Skinner
Message 2 of 2 (1,314 Views)

Re: Open GL on my Graphics card? Will what I have work with Acad?

07-24-2012 10:26 AM in reply to: shawn_c_93

The GeForce has the appropriate drivers to run your AC and Inventor. The low-end Quadro cards are junk. I had some in our Precision 390 workstations. The consumer class cards ran circles around them. I haven't seen any evidence that the workstation class graphics cards have any advantage over current consumer class cards. The arguments get so technical as to be irrelevant. I've used both in production CAD stations, and I will always go with a GeForce card.

DDR3 is faster memory than DDR or DDR2. DDR4 is even faster. ECC is more important than speed though.

An accelerator cache for an SSD card sounds like an oxymoron as the SSD should be faster than a standard spinning HDD due to it's architecture.

Your machine specs are fine. Just be sure to keep it well ventilated, as laptops need the airflow to keep cool.

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.