Did you mean: 

Object Snap not working with Viewports

31 REPLIES 31
SOLVED
Message 1 of 32
DP-Mike
31119 Views, 31 Replies

Object Snap not working with Viewports

Currently, I have two drawings open. In one drawing I can snap to the midpoint, endpoint, etc... of the viewport object in all paperspace tab's. yet in the other drawing I cannot.

The drawings were started from the same template.

The profiles used are exactly the same.

The viewports are on the "VPORT" layer in both drawings, and the layer is not locked.

All the properties of the viewports in the drawings match, with exception to exact center, size and shape.

OSMODE is set to 47 in both drawings and OSNAP is on.

I have no problem snapping to any other object in paperspace (or model) space in both drawings.

I have restarted my computer, restarted CAD, recovered both drawings, opened the drawings in two different CAD session and in the same CAD session in windows.

I have researched the knowledge base for this issue and have not found a solution.

Is there some property characteristic or SetVariable I am missing?

Any solutions OTHER than dumping the "broken" drawing or copying everything to a new drawing?

Mike

31 REPLIES 31
Message 2 of 32
rkmcswain
in reply to: DP-Mike

DP-Mike wrote:

All the properties of the viewports in the drawings match, with exception to exact center, size and shape.

Is one viewport rectangle, and the other viewport some other polygon shape?

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 3 of 32
DP-Mike
in reply to: rkmcswain

Oops, left that out from my original post.

No. None of the viewports are polygons. They are all rectangles, and all were created using the viewport command.

M

Message 4 of 32
pendean

Rotated UCS? XREF?
Message 5 of 32
DP-Mike
in reply to: pendean

Nope. The UCS's within the viewports are different, but while in Paper Space, the USC is set to world for both drawings.

(Incidentally, I did find another layout tab in the "working" drawing that was not set to World. I had the broken UCS icon showing and it still allowed me to snap to the Viewport Object.)

M

Message 6 of 32
DP-Mike

I think this issue I found is a reslut of some bug in the programming and not something CAD related.

After trying everything I could possibly imagine to fix the issue, I decided to re-create one of the viewports. Immediately after I created a new viewport, the issue went away. I was able to snap to Viewport Object Snap points. (Explain that one AutoDedk!)

Anyway, thanks for pondering over my issue with me.

Mike

Message 7 of 32
rkmcswain

I have seen "corrupt" viewports in the past. Not too often, but they do exist.
I remember one in particular that would randomly forget that it had been clipped. Same solution, erase and create a new one.
R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 8 of 32
taituai

I had the same problem.

If your current layer is viewport frozen in the paperspace, the osnaps won't snap to the viewport. Very strange but that worked for me

Tags (1)
Message 9 of 32
Akahn-GRCH
in reply to: taituai

The above post worked for me too

"If your current layer is viewport frozen in the paperspace, the osnaps won't snap to the viewport."

Message 10 of 32
james_salter
in reply to: taituai

Thanks for the info.  That was it.  

Message 11 of 32
bcsurvey

Yes.  Making a new viewport worked for me.  It sucks when you lose almost an hour of the day trying to find a solution for something this retarded.

Civil 3D 2019 (6.1)
Windows 10 Pro (21H2)
(i7-11850H @ 2.50 GHz)
32GB RAM
NVIDIA RTX A2000
Message 12 of 32
dbogenhagen
in reply to: bcsurvey

Had the same issue.  Changed active layer to something non frozen.  Viola, only lost 1/2 hour!

Message 13 of 32
r_d_clarke

I'm using AutoCAD 2018 and the only snap that seems to work with my viewports is Geometric Center.  I've tried changing the plot/no plot status of the layer, creating a new viewport on a normal layer, and still no end point snaps on viewports.

Message 14 of 32
INKOIngenieria
in reply to: r_d_clarke

for osnap to work it is necessary to create a viewport on an object (rectangle, circle etc ...)

Message 15 of 32
amir

i see that this has been solve. but i have got the prob since using autocad 2018. i dont know how it can be like that. but if i want to move the viewport, i can select the viewport, then when selecting the point which is midpoint or endpoint, it will not showup, unless i enter a command like MID for midpoint or END for endpoint. so i hope that it can be solve. i actually dont know how to explain. but i hope you all will understand on what i have been encountered. all this happen on the layout when setting up the layout. it is weird coz if i draw line or rectangle on the layout, it simply can osnap the endpoint or near or what ever i set it on. but when on viewport it will not shown the osnap unless i entered a specific command like NEA or END or MID or other.. Thanks hope to find answer here.

Message 16 of 32
ayaz667
in reply to: INKOIngenieria

None of the answers helped me. So I created new Layout, osnap worked Man Very Happy there for vports, I think that is the best solution yet.

Message 17 of 32
roesbra22
in reply to: INKOIngenieria

I have the same problem and this is the only thing that has worked

@INKOIngenieriawrote:

for osnap to work it is necessary to create a viewport on an object (rectangle, circle etc ...)

for me so far

Message 18 of 32

I face the same issue, that led me to this page. try this

switch of generic center snap from the osnap settings and then try to snap the vertices

@r_d_clarke wrote:

I'm using AutoCAD 2018 and the only snap that seems to work with my viewports is Geometric Center.  I've tried changing the plot/no plot status of the layer, creating a new viewport on a normal layer, and still no end point snaps on viewports.

Message 19 of 32
mmchugh
in reply to: dbogenhagen

Hmm, that's weird.  I switched to a layer that wasn't frozen in the viewport and now I too can snap to the viewport again...

(Dr. Evil: "Rrrrrrrrrriiiiiiiiiiiiight...") 

Message 20 of 32
Kent1Cooper

@DP-Mike wrote:

.... In one drawing I can snap to the midpoint, endpoint, etc... of the viewport object in all paperspace tab's. yet in the other drawing I cannot....

Another potential cause of this kind of problem, that hasn't been mentioned here yet, is if the Viewport [or anything else] is drawn on the DEFPOINTS Layer [very bad practice, but a lot of people still do it].  When Layer 0 is either off or frozen, which can easily happen from, for example, a LAYISO command, things on DEFPOINTS, though visible, cannot be Osnapped to, nor selected.

Kent Cooper, AIA

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost