AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

Contributor
rasmusre
Message 1 of 9 (741 Views)

Object snap bug?

741 Views, 8 Replies
10-31-2012 11:39 AM
Hi I'm sorry if this question has been up before, tried to search but couldn't find anything. I'm working as CAD and IT support at my company and my colleague showed me a problem with her object snap. When she uses the object snap, or same other commands (for example match properties), the cross in the drawing window disappears and become the regular windows pointer. She is in the active window and she can still use the command but doesn't see the snap symbol. She's using AutoCAD 2012 on a windows 7 64-bit computer. Has Anyone else had this problem? Best regards Rasmus Regnstrand Consultant road and infrastructure Sweden
*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 2 of 9 (719 Views)

Re: Object snap bug?

11-02-2012 08:02 AM in reply to: rasmusre

Hi,

>> When she uses the object snap, or same other commands (for example match properties),

>> the cross in the drawing window disappears and become the regular windows pointer.

First: object-snaps are no command, they can't be used like starting a command.

And a general statement: if you see the Windows-cursor (arrow by default) the AutoCAD-Window does not have the focus. So what happens if you click into the graphic-area of AutoCAD then?

Can you upload a screenshot showing us your commandline (so we see what command is started and what option is selected + the cursor visible as Windows-arrow?

What you can try is to look for servicepacks and to play with the hardware-acceleration (command _3DCONFIG ==> manual tune ==> and invert the current state for activated/not activated). If that helps then let us know what graphic-card you have and what driver you are using.

Good luck - alfred -

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Contributor
rasmusre
Message 3 of 9 (696 Views)

11-05-2012 01:03 AM in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

alfred.neswadba wrote:

Hi,

>> When she uses the object snap, or same other commands (for example match properties),

>> the cross in the drawing window disappears and become the regular windows pointer.

First: object-snaps are no command, they can't be used like starting a command.

And a general statement: if you see the Windows-cursor (arrow by default) the AutoCAD-Window does not have the focus. So what happens if you click into the graphic-area of AutoCAD then? Ok, it's not a command, lets say a use a commans, for example dimension or polyline, and then use the object snap function. But I suppose you understood what I meant the first time =)

As I wrote in the first message AutoCAD window is active and the active drawing IS active. When I click in to the active window with the windows cursor is works just as the autoCAD-cursor would've been active.

Can you upload a screenshot showing us your commandline (so we see what command is started and what option is selected + the cursor visible as Windows-arrow? I'm sorry, I can't at the moment since it isn't my computer the problem is occuring on. I thought this was pretty clear from the first post. She uses and "snapable" command, for example line/polyline/dimension, then any object snap, for example "nearest", and only the the standard windows cursor gets active even thought AutoCAD, and the current drawi

What you can try is to look for servicepacks and to play with the hardware-acceleration (command _3DCONFIG ==> manual tune ==> and invert the current state for activated/not activated). If that helps then let us know what graphic-card you have and what driver you are using. Since our whole office are using the same hardware it shouldn't be a graphic-card problem, I'll check out the driver though and apdate AutoCAD to latest service-pack.

Good luck - alfred -

segbert
Message 4 of 9 (589 Views)

01-31-2013 02:05 PM in reply to: rasmusre

I can't be certain but it sounds like another window is "popping" up off screen which is a big thing in 2012.  To find the missing window, hold the ALT button down and hit the spacebar.  Strike the M button and use your arrow keys to start moving the window around. Once it starts moving you can move it with your mouse. This must be done directly after initiating the command that would pull up the new window.

Active Contributor
Smilendetulle
Message 5 of 9 (513 Views)

02-28-2013 04:37 AM in reply to: rasmusre

maybe the color of "2D or 3D Auto Snap marker" the same color as your background.

*Expert Elite*
rkmcswain
Message 6 of 9 (498 Views)

02-28-2013 07:19 AM in reply to: Smilendetulle

Smilendetulle wrote:

maybe the color of "2D or 3D Auto Snap marker" the same color as your background.

Even if that were true, that would not cause the "regular windows pointer" to appear.

*Expert Elite*
rkmcswain
Message 7 of 9 (497 Views)

02-28-2013 07:22 AM in reply to: rasmusre

rasmusre wrote: Ok, it's not a command, lets say a use a commans, for example dimension or polyline, and then use the object snap function. But I suppose you understood what I meant the first time =)

So let's say you want to draw a line from the ENDpoint of another line.

You start the LINE command, then what?

Are you typing in END, or using Shift+right click to access the context menu, or something else?

IOW - how are you initiating the object snap?

Active Contributor
Smilendetulle
Message 8 of 9 (462 Views)

03-01-2013 04:08 AM in reply to: rasmusre

Maybe you should try to run a repair on the AutoCAD installation.

Mentor
Nik-D
Message 9 of 9 (458 Views)

03-01-2013 05:19 AM in reply to: rasmusre

Is this problem specific to a drawing?

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.