AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

vengel1
Message 1 of 6 (262 Views)

notebook shuts down

262 Views, 5 Replies
12-10-2012 07:50 AM

I've installed AutoCAD 2012 student version on my

"Acer Travelmate" with intelCore i5-2410M 2.3GHz with Turbo Boost up to 2.9GHz,

NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M Up to 2741 MB TurboCache, 4GB DDR3 Memory. (1 year old)

At the beginning it operated pretty well, it just shut down using certain tools like measuring or cropping, then the message that my "graphic board driver restored after an error" appeared  and i could go on working. Even my data wasn't lost.

However now whenever I open a file (which is maybe more complex than one year ago), my whole notebook shuts down completely, so I can't use AutoCAD here anymore. I've already tried to install new drivers but the problem is still there.

My reseller said that the notebook and the system should be sufficient for AutoCAD, so I wanted to ask if anybody knows what the problem could be.

*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 2 of 6 (252 Views)

Re: notebook shuts down

12-10-2012 08:53 AM in reply to: vengel1

Hi, 

what os do you have?

At least you should describe in detail, how your notebook shuts down ... blue screen?

My first guess was "overheating", either the processor or gpu. Listen if the fans are active or blocked.

- alfred -

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at
vengel1
Message 3 of 6 (247 Views)

12-10-2012 09:29 AM in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

i have windows 7 64-bit.

no, there's no blue screen, the mouse disappears and no keys work (also not strg+alt+entf) so the only possibility is to switch off the laptop by pressing the "off-key" for a longer time. how do I get to know whether the fans are blocked? I've never noticed the laptop getting warm or heated.

*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 4 of 6 (238 Views)

12-10-2012 10:36 AM in reply to: vengel1

Hi,

>> so the only possibility is to switch off the laptop

Ok, so not AutoCAD shuts down your laptop, it's you :smileywink:

First I would try to login with another user-account, having full admin-permissions and try AutoCAD to start in that context.

Next I would start the taskmanager, sorting the processes by the process-time used and then start AutoCAD ==> you should see then in the taskmanager (it it does not stop) what process is using most of the process-power)

If that also does not bring up a result then start Windows in diagnostic-mode, again try AutoCAD to start then.

And now let's know how each of the steps are working (or not working).

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at
*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 5 of 6 (229 Views)

12-10-2012 06:33 PM in reply to: vengel1

Your laptop's original problem was the two video cards competing (nVidia on top of the Intel built into the motherboard): jump on your laptop manufacturer's website, find out how to turn off one or the other, and consider rolling back to older video card drivers.

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
vengel1
Message 6 of 6 (206 Views)

12-12-2012 12:19 AM in reply to: pendean

my reseller already watched the processes using the task manager while starting autocad, and he also turned off the intel graphics but then nothing did work anymore. But i'll look it up on the manufacturer's site. A friend told me that she installed autocad 2013 and then it worked on her mac, so maybe i'll try this, too.

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.