Did you mean: 

New linetype

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
Fuscha
1661 Views, 13 Replies

New linetype

I`m sorry if there are already helpful topics for me but I couldn`t find really good ones 😉

So I got a Cliff in my drawing and i want the lines to look like in the attachment, if there is no way to create such a linetype I`ll just copy/paste the "crevices"

Thx Tom

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
dtucker
in reply to: Fuscha

You can not create a linetype with that pattern. The best way would be to copy and create a polyline out of it.

Message 3 of 14
JoAnn_Hogan

Hi Tom,

You can definitely create that linetype. Please see this youtube link to a video that might help you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNU_IUISN08

Here is the steps in creating a linetype:

Step 1: Create the "shape" that is going to form part of the line (Create "Shape" found in the express tools tab)

Step 2: Save the shape and name it something you can easily recognize. (I've saved mine on my desktop)

Step 3: Follow the prompts in the command line. Name, resolution, Base point (Select point on the shape) and Select objects (Only the shape, not the adjoining line)

Step 4:Delete the shape in the Model space and re-insert by typing in the word "Shape" in your command line and when prompted, type in the shape name required

Step 5: Select "Make Linetype" and follow the prompts in the command line (Name, description, start and end of line) (It will automatically be added to your acad.lin file)

Step 6: Access your new linetype though your layer manager

Please see attachment for a screenshot where to fine the "Make Shape" and "Make Linetype" command

I hope this helps 😃

If this post solved your issue please mark as solved and Kudos are always welcome 😃

Jo - Ann
Twitter: @JoAnn_Hogan
Revit Architecture Certified Professional / Revit Structure Certified Professional / AutoCAD Certified Professional
Message 4 of 14
Anonymous

If you don't know how to code a custom linetype then I would use the method JoAnn posted. I have created numerous linetypes and that linetype can surely be created. Good Luck.
Message 5 of 14
JoAnn_Hogan
in reply to: Anonymous

You dont need to know the coding. There are many ways to skin a cat, just depends which you prefer. Obviously you can go all ninja but for something this simple no need to... I have tested this method before. It definately works. 

If this post solved your issue please mark as solved and Kudos are always welcome 😃

Jo - Ann
Revit Architecture Certified Professional / Revit Structure Certified Professional / AutoCAD Certified Professional
Message 6 of 14
Fuscha

thanks guys I`ll try that 🙂

Message 7 of 14
JoAnn_Hogan

Good Luck Tom,

Please just shout if you need any more help. I will gladly assist.

Please remember to mark the post as solved if it works.

Jo - Ann
Message 8 of 14
jggerth1

Bear in mind that no one else on the planet will have your shape file, and anyone who inherits that drawing is unlikely to be able to reliably  display it the way you drew it.  If portability is of absolutely no concern, then go for the linetype.  If there's any probability of that drawing being reused/ transmitted/ repurposed, then skip the line type, and use the copy/array tools to duplicate that pattern.

(as i sit here with a 10yr old survey drawing, that uses a proprietary shx file to display their custom linetypes.....)

Until shapes used in linetypes can be bound into the drawing, custom shx are _evil_.

Message 9 of 14
JoAnn_Hogan
in reply to: jggerth1

This is just a suggestion. What about doing a etransmittal? Sending all the files you need in one zip file??

Jo - Ann
Message 10 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: JoAnn_Hogan

Jgerth makes a good point. there is also the measure/block or the divide/block method to do what you need. Knowing the coding does help if you need to control the spacing of this linetype or others you may want to create in the future. HTH
Message 11 of 14
JoAnn_Hogan

Just a suggestion. How about sending a eTransmittal? Having all the files you need in one zip file?

Jo - Ann
Message 12 of 14
jggerth1
in reply to: JoAnn_Hogan

ETransmit works,        once. 

the likelihood of the necessary shape files being kept with a drawing as it moves from person to company to other company is pretty small,    I've had many instances of missing shx files over the years.  Rarely, the source of the drawing file has access to the shx and can send it along -- usually though that's been forgotten/misplaced somewhere between point a and point d.

Array, measure, divide, and copy always work.

Disclaimer:  I'm a proponent of collaboration and interoperability between team members, companies, and software.  So I approach designs with the premise that they will be re-used, re-purposed, & recycled.  It's good practice to make things easier for the next person -- after all, it might be me.

Message 13 of 14
JoAnn_Hogan

I like the way you think. It is always good to see people thinking of somebody else and how it will affect them. 

Jo - Ann
Message 14 of 14
Fuscha

ok I got my linetype thanks for the help 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost