Valued Contributor
ggunn
Message 1 of 32 (494 Views)
Accepted Solution

New layouts for old drawings

494 Views, 31 Replies
08-08-2011 08:26 AM

This is frustrating.

What I am trying to do SHOULD be very simple.  I just want to put some old drawings into a new layout template. The template works just fine when I create a new drawing with it.

I would have thought that right clicking on a layout tab and selecting "From template..." would do it, but it doesn't. It just creates a new layout tab with none of the template items on it.

The help files say to use the Layout Wizard, but the access method in the help files (Menu: Insert > Layout > Create Layout Wizard), if I am accurately parsing AutoDeskSpeak, is not there. Under the Insert tab, there is nothing with the word "Layout" in it anywhere.

So I type in LAYOUTWIZARD, and I get a dialog box to create a new layout.  I go through that whole rigamarole, selecting the template I want where it asks for it, and when the new layout comes up, it's just like the other one - a new layout with none of the template items on it.

I have already wasted far too much time on what should be a simple task, and I am exercising great restraint in not typing the words that are going through my head at the moment.

Can anyone help me?

ggunn wrote: 
...I double click on a template name, and it shows me a dialog box titled "Insert Layout(s)" with the subtitle "Layout name(s)" and the choices Layout1 and Layout2.  There is no Layout2 at this point, so I select Layout2 and hit "OK".

The dialog box is asking which layout you want to insert FROM YOUR TEMPLATE.  If you pick "Layout 2" you'll insert "Layout 2" from your template, which IS blank.

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 2 of 32 (488 Views)

Re: New layouts for old drawings

08-08-2011 08:50 AM in reply to: ggunn

You seem to be talking about two different tasks, please elaborate:

1. Do you want to INSERT the old files into your template file.

or

2. Do you want to import a LAYOUT from the template file into an old file? And what content are you expecting to come along with a layout?

3. Also, if "nothing" shows up, did you try thawing/turning on ALL layers first before assuming nothing came in?

Or did you check by opening this TEMPLATE file to ensure the content is there?

Are you sure the "template" file you open is the same one AutoCAD is accessing?

4. Have you tried ADCENTER for the darn simple task of dragging Layouts (and other things) from one file to another? Do you get the same "empty" results?

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
Valued Contributor
ggunn
Message 3 of 32 (476 Views)

08-08-2011 09:41 AM in reply to: pendean

When I first got AutoCAD I generated some one line drawings on the generic acad template.  Later I generated a layout with a title block, etc., and saved it as a template.  All is fine when I start a new drawing and specify using that template for it.

Now what I want to do is to go back to the old drawings and regenerate new layouts for them with the new template.  I would have thought that opening the old files, right clicking the layout tab, and selecting "From template..." would have given me a new layout with my title block, but it doesn't work that way, even though my template comes up as a choice in that menu.  The Layout Wizard does the same thing (shows me my template as a choice but then ignores it).

An annoyance on the side is that the help files say that the way to invoke the Layout Wizard is "Menu: Insert > Layout > Create Layout Wizard" but there is nothing on the Insert tab thet mentions Layout at all, much less the Layout Wizard. Is that another feature that is eliminated from the LT version?

*Pro
nestly
Message 4 of 32 (469 Views)

08-08-2011 10:28 AM in reply to: ggunn

Is the Titleblock in your template in modelspace, or paperspace.  (it has to be in PS in order to import with the layout)

Valued Contributor
ggunn
Message 5 of 32 (463 Views)

08-08-2011 11:14 AM in reply to: nestly

"Is the Titleblock in your template in modelspace, or paperspace.  (it has to be in PS in order to import with the layout)"

It's in paperspace.  As I said, starting a new drawing with the template works fine, I just can't generate new layouts of older drawings using the template.

*Pro
nestly
Message 6 of 32 (458 Views)

08-08-2011 11:23 AM in reply to: ggunn

If you can post both the template, and one of your "old" drawings (even if it's blank), I'm pretty sure someone will be able to identify the problem.

Valued Contributor
ggunn
Message 7 of 32 (455 Views)

08-08-2011 11:31 AM in reply to: pendean

"4. Have you tried ADCENTER for the darn simple task of dragging Layouts (and other things) from one file to another? Do you get the same "empty" results?"

I just tried that.  I dragged over the layout from a drawing I created using the new template into an old drawing that I want to redo, and the new layout came over the same way as everything else I have tried - without the title block. The same empty results, yes.

The fact that everything I try yields the same results leads me to consider that there might be something wrong with the template.  I created it by opening a new drawing, making it look the way I want it in layout (paper) space, and then saving it as a template. But when I create a new drawing using that template, it works fine, so wouldn't that indicate the the template is OK?

Is there someone at Autodesk who will help me over the phone without charging me an arm and a leg?

Valued Contributor
ggunn
Message 8 of 32 (449 Views)

08-08-2011 11:43 AM in reply to: nestly

"If you can post both the template, and one of your "old" drawings (even if it's blank), I'm pretty sure someone will be able to identify the problem."

Here's the template. The old drawings are of no consequence; if I create a new drawing using the generic template and then try to bring in my template, it acts the same way.

EDIT: The forum software will not allow me to attach a file with a .dwt (Drawing Template) suffix.

*Pro
nestly
Message 9 of 32 (443 Views)

08-08-2011 11:54 AM in reply to: ggunn

That's kinda stupid that they don't allow DWT's since there is no difference between DWG and DWT other than the extension.  You can make a copy and change the extension to DWG.

Valued Contributor
ggunn
Message 10 of 32 (437 Views)

08-08-2011 12:42 PM in reply to: nestly

"That's kinda stupid that they don't allow DWT's since there is no difference between DWG and DWT other than the extension.  You can make a copy and change the extension to DWG."

Please bear with me, as I am really a Mac guy, but how would I do that?  In this (PC) OS, the filename extensions are not displayed, so I don't see how to change one. I hate this "don't worry your pretty little head about that" computer environment.

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.