Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help plotting legal description

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
Anonymous
636 Views, 15 Replies

Need help plotting legal description

Can anyone make sense of this portion of a legal description that I need to plot from a 1917 deed? I have no idea how to plot it.

thence starting from a bearing of north 31 degrees 15 minutes 36 seconds west running through 41 degrees 13 minutes of 9 degrees 12 minutes curve to the right, 448.05 feet;

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
Kent1Cooper
in reply to: Anonymous

Sounds to me like some copyist jumped a line and left out some of the wording.  If that's what happened, does the Owner have access to any earlier deeds, or the description of the adjacent property?

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 3 of 16
steve216586

That's easy!

It is as it states. Start shooting your azmuth at the 31 degrees and finishing at the 41 degrees. You will have an arc to the property line of 9 degrees and 12 minutes along the 448.05 ft length.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. "-Eleanor Roosevelt
Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: Kent1Cooper

Hm, that's a thought, will check.  The language in these old docs can be so archaic, and I thought it might just be some wording convention of the times that someone might recognize.  Thanks for your input.

Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: steve216586

Thank you, but how would this be done in AutoCAD? I have only plotted simple bearings and distances.

Message 6 of 16
Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:

Can anyone make sense of this portion of a legal description that I need to plot from a 1917 deed? I have no idea how to plot it.

thence starting from a bearing of north 31 degrees 15 minutes 36 seconds west running through 41 degrees 13 minutes of 9 degrees 12 minutes curve to the right, 448.05 feet;

Start by setting your units to Surveyors Units.  

Message 7 of 16
Anonymous

I can explain in CAD how to plot lines in bearings in degrees-min-sec if that helps, but that's only the first part.

I would honestly cold-call a surveyor and offer to bake and mail them cookies if they would explain this to me. I'm not kidding, that's actually what I would do.

Message 8 of 16
Anonymous

My boss is a registered surveyor - and would gladly accept cookies, if only he had the answer! He is also proficient in AutoCAD, but this one is beyond him as well. Great idea, though.

Message 9 of 16
Anonymous

In the Type drop-down list under Angle?  Okay, then what?

Message 10 of 16
Patchy

It's like this:

Message 11 of 16
Anonymous

It's hard to know what is or isn't common knowledge in another field, so stop me if you know this one . . . In school, we'd set angles to surveyor's units (being careful to have the right precision) and length to decimal, then click to start a line and type in bearings, such as @3791.4<n44.52e, for 3791.4 feet going in the direction of 44min52sec northeast. We'd omit the @ if it started at the X,Y Axis.

But it doesn't sound like you have that info . . . no length is given. A possible intersection is mentioned, so I guess you could draw lines of a chosen arbitrary length with the bearings listed and see what length it takes to connect the ends????? And what is the bearing of "curve to the right"? The more I look, the less I know. If someone can figure out how to do this on paper, you could scan it in, put it as a .pdf underlay, then use scale by ref for the 448.05 feet to get it actual size, then draw over the lines with AutoCAD. That's really my only thought, since the user who mentioned azimuths seemes to think it would work, but no one as of yet seems to know how to do it on CAD.

Message 12 of 16
Kent1Cooper
in reply to: steve216586

@steve216586 wrote:

That's easy!

It is as it states. Start shooting your azmuth at the 31 degrees and finishing at the 41 degrees. You will have an arc to the property line of 9 degrees and 12 minutes along the 448.05 ft length.

Not really....  If it's talking about a starting direction and an ending direction when it says "from a bearing of north 31 degrees 15 minutes 36 seconds west running through 41 degrees 13 minutes", and if the "9 degrees 12 minutes" is supposed to be the total included angle, then it's just wrong.  That range between start to end angles [if that's what it means] is a total included angle of 9 degrees 57 minutes 24 seconds.  And if by "running through 41 degrees 13 minutes" it means running through to that as an end bearing direction, still with North before and West after, then that would be a curve to the left, not to the right.

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 13 of 16
Kent1Cooper
in reply to: Patchy

@Patchy wrote:

It's like this:

If that's what's meant, where does the 9 degrees 12 minutes fit into the situation?

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 14 of 16
Patchy
in reply to: Kent1Cooper

Look up Degree of Curvature (Surveyors use them) or ask around, they will show you.

Message 15 of 16
Patchy

Given:

Thence starting from a bearing of north 31 degrees 15 minutes 36 seconds west running through 41 degrees 13 minutes of 9 degrees 12 minutes curve to the right, 448.05 feet;

I drew it wit the RED line.

L  ( Length of the Arc) =100 x Delta Angle divide Degree of Curvature

L = 100 x 41.2167 divide 9.2

L = 448.0076 

Old timers have no calculator and we know they use slide ruler and chart, that why a few decimal numbers were off.

Message 16 of 16
Anonymous

This has shed lots of light on the problem, thanks much, and to everyone who chimed in.  Although there doesn't appear to be a perfect solution due to the errors in the legal description, every bit of new understanding helps.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost