AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

Active Contributor
pfilters
Message 1 of 6 (9,124 Views)
Accepted Solution

Multiple Sessions, Taskbar and Windows 7

9124 Views, 5 Replies
02-10-2011 11:00 AM

We recently upgraded to Windows 7.  Now when we open multiple drawings, each drawing is displayed individaully in the taskbar.  This created problems for us when wanting to ALT+TAB through open programs; the drawings would be available for selection and get in the way.  I thought multiple sessions of the program were opening.  It reminded me of older versions of ACAD where you could select (Options>Open & Save, I think) whether ACAD opened additional drawings in the same session or in multiple sessions.  That option no longer exists, and I have been surching for the solution off-and-on for the last 4 months.  The following post lead me to the solution although they were orginally asking to do the opposite.  This post has too many entries (2 pages, who looks at a second page?) and is full of bickering, so I decided to post a separate comment.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-2011/Where-is-the-option-when-opening-a-dwg-file/m-p/2739291

The post below explans the solution quite well.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-2011/Individual-drawings-in-Windows-taskbar-help/m-p/2702813#M...

Windows 7 switched the default assuming most people would rather have the ability to hover and see a preview.  Maybe that's true but I am not one of them.  The reason it took me so long to find the answer is becasue I was always referencing "Multiple Sessions" and not searching for "Taskbar" solutions.

As a side note, in all my searching, the most common solution offered was changing the SDI variable.  I believe, 9 times out 10, if not more, the SDI variable had nothing to do with what the problems were, yet it was always suggested.

i had the same problem i mentioned in the original post after recently switching to a new pc.  i came to my post to see if my question was answered and realized i must have come across the answer on my own because i referenced the TASKBAR command (that's why it was in ALL CAPS).  The way to fix my problem is to change the TASKBAR setting to "0".  This prevents multiple open drawings from having their own separate icon in the windows taskbar regardless of how Windows manages the taskbar icons.

*Expert Elite*
ToanDN
Message 2 of 6 (9,100 Views)

Re: Multiple Sessions, Taskbar and Windows 7

02-10-2011 01:14 PM in reply to: pfilters

Right click on the Windows 7 taskbar and select Group icons, or something like that.

Active Contributor
pfilters
Message 3 of 6 (9,092 Views)

02-10-2011 02:04 PM in reply to: pfilters

Thanks, but I forgot to mention that I have my taskbar set to never combine taskbar buttons because it's inconvenient for all other applications.  AutoCAD is the only program I prefer to have combined.  I could easily have 5-10 drawings open at one time.  That's not usually true for other programs.  I am glad AutoCAD allows me to change the TASKBAR setting independent of Windows.

Active Contributor
pfilters
Message 4 of 6 (7,748 Views)

12-20-2011 03:05 PM in reply to: pfilters

i had the same problem i mentioned in the original post after recently switching to a new pc.  i came to my post to see if my question was answered and realized i must have come across the answer on my own because i referenced the TASKBAR command (that's why it was in ALL CAPS).  The way to fix my problem is to change the TASKBAR setting to "0".  This prevents multiple open drawings from having their own separate icon in the windows taskbar regardless of how Windows manages the taskbar icons.

Contributor
JeffClark
Message 5 of 6 (3,089 Views)

10-17-2013 06:24 AM in reply to: pfilters

This may be old, but it's still very relevent. This thread showed up in my Googeling, and the "TASKBAR" function solved the problem.

Thanks Pfilters!

matt220992
Message 6 of 6 (57 Views)

09-10-2014 04:35 AM in reply to: JeffClark

I am having this problem with AutoCAD LT 2014 but on OSX not Windows. The taskbar command is not recognised. I hate that it opens everything in seperate windows.

Any ideas?

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.