AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

Valued Contributor
acadmanv
Message 1 of 4 (249 Views)

multiple copys of AutoCad open?

249 Views, 3 Replies
07-25-2011 09:13 AM

There is an ongoing debate here at work about if its a good idea to have multiple sessions of AutoCad running?  I myself just run one instance and open multiple drawings.  Others here open 2 Autocads in 2 different windows.  We use 2 monitors so its nice to have 2 drawings open at the same time.  Any benefits or pitfalls with either method?

*Expert Elite*
Bob_Zurunkle
Message 2 of 4 (244 Views)

Re: multiple copys of AutoCad open?

07-25-2011 09:18 AM in reply to: acadmanv

Mebbe if you have a multi-core processor...

If by some odd chance my nattering was useful -- that's great, glad to help. But if it actually solved your issue, then please mark my solution as accepted :smileyhappy:
*Expert Elite*
dgorsman
Message 3 of 4 (210 Views)

07-25-2011 11:40 AM in reply to: acadmanv

You can end up with various system settings doing a "dueling banjos" thing, where making changes in one session are not reflected in the other session, and the last one closed wins.  This can apply to registry-stored system variables, tool palettes, and other settings shared on a per-user or per-profile basis.  If a third-party application requires AutoCAD to be in SDI mode there could be other consequences in accessing the same settings as well.  Thats to say nothing of any customization which controls access to client or project specific data files.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
Adopt. Adapt. Overcome. Or be overcome.
A good question will be halfway to a good answer.

Valued Contributor
acadmanv
Message 4 of 4 (197 Views)

07-25-2011 12:49 PM in reply to: dgorsman

Ah, very good point! :smileyhappy:

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.