Did you mean: 

Moving multiple objects

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
russ1980
6125 Views, 13 Replies

Moving multiple objects

Hi all,

When using CAD 2010 this afternoon, i selected 24 objects, and tried to move them all up by 50mm, however only 14 of them actually moved. The others all remained firmly where they were.

is there some limit on the amount of objects that can be moved in one go?

Any suggestions/advice would be greatfully recieved.

Russ

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
GrantsPirate
in reply to: russ1980

It sounds as though the ones that didn't move are on a layer that is locked.  Identify the layer(s) and unlock them.

GrantsPirate
Piping and Mech. Designer
EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Always save a copy of the drawing before trying anything suggested here.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
If something I wrote can be interpreted two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, I meant the other one.

Message 3 of 14
russ1980
in reply to: GrantsPirate

thanks for the reply, but i ought to have said that all objects are identical and on the same unlocked, unfrozen layer.

after i try to move all the objects together and some of them move if i imediately try to move the ones still in their original place, bingo they move fine.

Message 4 of 14
rkmcswain

Were you zooming and panning around during the entity selection? I've seen in the past where that can cause some entities to become "unselected" as described here: http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?48832-Out-of-view-selection
R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 5 of 14
russ1980
in reply to: rkmcswain

No was static view, just left click and drag down and to the right.??

Message 6 of 14
Ajilal.Vijayan

@russ1980 wrote:

No was static view, just left click and drag down and to the right.??

Is all the objects selected at one go ?

Else setting PICKADD to 1 may help.

Message 7 of 14
russ1980
in reply to: Ajilal.Vijayan

yes, all selected at once, using click and drag method.

i have just checked PICKADD and it is set to 1 already.

Message 8 of 14
pendean

Can you repeat the problem on demand?
Are the same objects deselected each time?
Are you sure you are selecting them in the first place? Use a crossing window to find out for sure
Message 9 of 14
russ1980
in reply to: pendean

Hi Dean,

Repeating the selection/move process usually results in the same outcome, although sometimes it is a different few that dont move. yep definately sure they were selected.

Message 10 of 14
GrantsPirate

Maybe post the drawing but first set shademode to 2Dwireframe and try again.  Let us know how you make out.

GrantsPirate
Piping and Mech. Designer
EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Always save a copy of the drawing before trying anything suggested here.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
If something I wrote can be interpreted two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, I meant the other one.

Message 11 of 14
dmfrazier

"...tried to move them all up by 50mm"

Do you have any running OSnaps that might conflict/compete with the distance entered?  (In other words, the objects are snapping right back to their starting points based on a Mid or End, etc. that happens to be within the distance you enter.)  I think OsnapCoord variable would affect this behavior.  

Message 12 of 14
pendean

Post this DWG file with notes inside it on how we can repeat it: so far it just appears you aren't selecting everything or ignoring locked layers perhaps.
Message 13 of 14
Kent1Cooper

Are the ones that don't move highlighted in selection as the ones that do move are, and does it report that 24 have been found?  If not, could the Blocks have some little piece that's remote from the rest, and hard to see [such as a Point, or a zero-length Line], so that only those that have that remote piece inside the window are found?  I believe if a Block like that has all portions of it that are visible on the screen inside the window, it will be found even though part of it [off-screen] isn't in the window.  But a Block like that in which all parts are visible needs to have all parts inside the window in order to be seen.  If that's the issue, it would explain why sometimes different ones Move, if your selection window corners are not always in exactly the right place.

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 14 of 14
halina
in reply to: Kent1Cooper

I've been having the same issue. The only work-around I've found is to type MOVE first then select the objects. If I select all the objects first then type MOVE, it's selecting all of the objects but then when I click to move, a few objects become unhighlighted. It's very inconvenient. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost